Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions linger on in Kitfox convert's mind

Default Questions linger on in Kitfox convert's mind

I know this question is heresy, and has no doubt been cussed and dis-cussed here over the centuries, but if y'all will indulge me, I'm gonna ask it again. Here's why I'm looking for a Kitfox with a 912 rather than, say, a Highlander, a Zenith CH 701 or 750, an Avid, or some other LSA with folding wings. I can't figure out how much difference there is between the Highlander and the Kitfox; the former may be stronger (?), and the wings harder to fold and unfold (but maybe that's not all bad--are there advantages to unhooking all those cables and hoses?). Then there's the nosewheel/taildragger issue. In addition to easier ground-handling, there are other advantages; still, I shudder at the thought of hitting a pothole with the nose gear and bending up the structure and things like that . . . The "newbie" strikes again!

Default Re: Questions linger on in Kitfox convert's mind

I don't know what your question is per se but I think there is a big difference between the highlander and the kitfox. A few big ones for me.

Nobody needs to land in less than 300'. Maybe if you are dinking around but really nobody needs that. The kitfox can land in 300 if you need to. If you ask me that is STOL who cares if the highlander is 50 feet less. You are splitting hairs at that point.

The kitfox IS faster. So your 50 feet less of landing distance in a highlander has cost you almost 25 mph in cruise for the same fuel burn.

Everyone says the highlander has a bigger baggage compartment. Once I saw the highlander baggage compartment I realized that if you spend a couple hours and install the extended baggage in the kitfox it is roughly the same. 150lbs is a ton of cargo too. More than the airlines allow you to bring for 2 people.

But the biggest thing that I like over a highlander is the kitfox has push rod controls. I do not like cables. Especially for flaps.

The highlander is a cool airplane but I don't think it compares to a kitfox.

Also for the nose wheel hitting a pot hole...don't land where you shouldnt.

Something else to consider: For whatever reason, you will never touch a used Highlander for less than $60k. They are far more expensive. Its possible to get into a 912 powered kitfox IV for less than half that amount.

Speaking new, I haven't run the numbers, but from what I have been told, you can build a new Kitfox for ~$60k where a new highlander would be $100k or more.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Those reasons right there are what took me to the KF over the Highlander.....
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

This question pops up about every six months or so. The aircraft you mention are fairly close in performance and mission capability. So here goes again…
    For a moment imagine you are buying a $50,000 car. It comes with no warranty and you have to put it together. You must also maintain it. Would you make a purchase based on brochures without a test drive? Would you buy it without looking under the hood?
    Asking which kit is better on a forum is of little value. The answers, likely, will be biased toward the supported aircraft. Go to a Ford forum and you are not likely to hear praises of Chevy’s.
    On the other hand, forums are great places to get specific answers on construction, operations or find another builder. As a prospective buyer you might put out a query to find someone building near you that you can talk to and see an airplane in work.
    You need to go to the shows and see completed aircraft. You also need to see aircraft without the covering. Look at the internal construction. Does your kit have weldments or do the wing brace tubes have smashed ends and holes drilled through them? Are the rib caps laminated ply or slats of wood? How is the frame welded? Is the manual clear and easy to understand? When you call the factory does someone answer the phone or call you back in a reasonable time?
    Your initial posting said the Highlander was stronger (?). Just how did you come to that conclusion? Are you looking at the load limits? At what weight? 1320 or 1550? Are the figures flight load limits or ultimate limits? Is there a safety factor?
    Do your homework. Look at airplanes under construction. Talk to the builders in person. Evaluate your building location and space available. Look at how much time you have to commit to building. Plan your finances. Figure out what you want in a small aircraft.
    It’s really up to you in the end.
    John

BIG THANKS to all of you who have taken the time to answer; virtually ALL of your points have been VERY helpful, and I can't argue with anything any of you have said. I'm still 'way down on the learning curve well below y'all. I'm in the process of trying to talk my wife into going for a factory-built Kitfox, which will require raiding our retirement fund. I've talked to both of the owners and like the cut of their jibs. I plan to buy the airplane and get fully trained by Paul Leadabrand before going off on my own. If my wife doesn't agree, then I'll be back to square-one, looking for an earlier model in first-rate condition. She's not too fancy about that idea, but she's a good sport and won't stand in my way if I'm determined to put us in the poorhouse because I'm in love with flying again (actually never stopped) and want to go to AK and Canada this coming summer. Thanks again; I look forward to all the comments anybody wants to make. Oh, the Kitfox website has a serious glitch--the "Contact Us" page is not available.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

It is my understanding, and by no means am I an expert, that a highlander is most comparable to a model 4 1200 gross kitfox and not the heavier 1550 gross weight model 7,6 or 5 kitfoxes.

I fold the wings after every flight on my kitfox model 5 taildragger, I don't have any complaints with having to put 4 pins and safety clips together when unfolding for flight, and I personally prefer the pushrod controls for everything( only the rudder has cables).
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I tend to agree with Kevin. I have several friends who have the Highlander and have been thinking that it might have become the defacto replacement for the Model IV. These guys seem to want an airplane that is light and nimble. A longtime Kitfox enthusiast and friend from the East Coast came by last Summer and of course we talked Kitfox while he was here. During the conversation, he mentioned that a friend back home had tried to order a Model IV and was discouraged by the factory - Something about being difficult to slot a IV into the production run. That (third hand report) and the "Special Order" status along with "Primarily for the European Market" with no other info on the site suggests, for practical purposes, it is no longer available for domestic sales.

For a significant segment of the market, bigger is not necessarily better.
    Lowell

Maybe we need to hear from John McBean about that. Just saying,third person and all.