Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stewart Systems, rod ends

Default Stewart Systems, rod ends

So, I haven't gotten the fuselage repaired just yet, but getting close. I need to start ramping up for the covering.

The previous owner covered with the Stewart Systems and left me with lots of leftover "chemicals" and such that I wouldn't mind using to get rid of. I'm thinking of going back with the same unless I get talked out of it.

There are 2 options for the fabric. Well, I'm sure there are more than 2, but... What are the opinions for the "Superflite 102 medium" and/or the "Superflight light uncertified?"

Rod ends. Best I can find to match up the Rudder Rod Ends(3) KF PN# 93001.000. would be the Aurora Bearing MM-4 (heim PN HM-4)(spruce PN MM-4) Would you concur?

Now to figure out how to get a $30 10ft 6061t6 elevator control tube without paying the $180 freight...
    Last edited by deejayel; 11-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Default Re: Stewart Systems, rod ends

You might contact Stewart Systems and check on shelf life for their various products. I know some of them have about a 1 yr shelf life. Check their website. I plan on using the Stewart System for my SS7. I have a friend who covered his Super Cub kit with the system and it is beautiful and he highly recommends it.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I would second the suggestion to check on the shelf life. I used the Stewart System and loved it. Glue, and UV block are so easy, but the paint is very picky as far as temp, humidity, and gun setup. Though, even when I cheated on some of those parameters I came out with an acceptable finish. Whatever you do for a gun, if you can keep the temps as recommended you will get a decent finish. Get too hot and it will come out rough, almost sand paper like. It is a two part poly that will set up really quick with higher temps and won't flow out smooth. After the learning curve with a crappy Harbor Freight gun mine eventually came out as a relatively smooth satin. Many pics in my albums.

I would always go for the medium fabric. Lightweight just doesn't feel very substantial, would puncture easier, and doesn't save you that much weight.

Sorry, no idea on the rod ends.

I will agree with using the medium fabric . I used the light weight stuff to replace the fabric removed on the wings when I replaced the tanks . The light stuff was much more difficult to cut and trim due to being so thin . Also I have a couple of punctures from the inside of the cockpit that I don't think Kevlar would have prevented . I guess the trick here is not to slip off clamps with needle nose pliers .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa