Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plane hits car landing

Default Re: Plane hits car landing

YIKES!!! and on his first solo!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Signage on road totally inadequate. What driver watches for airborne cross traffic?

Too bad he quit flying

I drive by airports all the time and always watch for airplanes! Maybe it's because I'm an aviation "addict" and love flying. Speculation only goes so far, but I have my doubts that there wasn't a distraction in that vehicle. After all, they were crossing near an airport. The ASRS put out a good read on "texting while taxiing". Perhaps not an exact fit for the situation, but good for us prop heads to be aware of....

Here's the link.... http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/docs/cb/cb_392.pdf

BTW, yeah, it sucks that this guy lost interest in flying that soon. One day though... maybe he'll get bit by the aviation bug again.

Enjoy.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Seems like two safety items failed. One, car didn't stop. Two, plane seems low. When they hit, you could assume the plane was 6' off the ground (and descending rapidly from the video) but still had over 400' to go to make the displaced threshold.

I hope for forgiveness and understanding for all involved.

He was just too low, plain and simple.
    If his engine quit running for just 2 seconds, he would have put his landing gear through the fence instead (or his whole plane). On slope or not, when a fence is that close to the runway you have to use your head and come in high enough to avoid it or a car next to it, in the event you have an engine problem or just a big gust of wind from the rear that drops you down a few feet. Forget landing on the numbers, with an airport design like that and a low time pilot, you need some extra insurance, and altitude is cheap insurance.

Roger

Well this guy probably only had 15 hours so I guess we shouldn't be too hard on him. Bottom line is all the cheese holes lined up.

For those not familiar with Roanoke, Texas, Northwest Regional airport (52F)... I've been there many times. Good cafe, good airplane watching, good pilot shop. Narrow runway with big slope.

This airport is privately owned public use. There are about 600 airplanes based on the field. Many of the owners live on the airport.

Runway 17 slopes downhill 35 feet . The runway is 40 feet wide X 3500. What looks like a low approach angle in the video is about normal clearance over the 40 foot hill plus trees and sloping terrain on final. The 681 foot elevation hill on final is just 600 feet from the end of the runway. Kelly drive is elevation 642 feet. The touchdown zone is elevation 629 feet. A normal 3 degree approach angle will put you just 19 feet above the road or just 13 feet above the SUV. It is common to aim a little lower to avoid floating far beyond the displaced threshold as the runway slopes down and away. Given a low time pilot without a lot of landings it's hard to say he was too low. Knowing that airport I'd say it was a pretty good looking approach.

At this point I certainly don't have all the details, nor does D/FW Channel 8. It may be best to let this play out and see what the NTSB and FAA have to say before we fault anyone.

John

"Given a low time pilot without a lot of landings it's hard to say he was too low. Knowing that airport I'd say it was a pretty good looking approach"

John, he hit the car. He WAS too low.

If he was not too low for his particular experience level, he would not have hit the car, that's how we know he was too low. I.E. Too low for john is not the same too low for beginners. John has the flying skills to fly low and watch for obstacles (and cars) in his flight path, thus it would not be “too low” for John (but for less experienced pilots, it’s way too low).
    Roger