Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Build cost?

Default Build cost?

I know this is a tough question, have any of you totaled up the total build cost for your Kitfoxes? I'm wondering what the final cost to get a new SS7, with a 912 and a simple com. Radio, transponder and gps, into the air would be. I can add up all the known costs for an estimate, but I'm wondering when it's all said and done, how much will it actually cost.

Default Re: Build cost?

If you buy stuff new I think you can figure ~ $60K, I think it would be tough to get below 50 but easy to go higher. Needless to say there are a lot of variables to your question but 60 is probably a good place to start. If you plan on buying used / bargin hunting or getting partially complete project thats another story.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

i still have a lot to buy, but i'm figuring on my total to be $45 - $50k. i will have less invested in my engine than most. i rebuilt my O-200 myself and still need to buy accessories; but i figure the total will be under $12k. being a bit old fashioned, i'm putting mostly used avionics with steam gauges. i bought the quick build ss7 with adjustable pedals and prefab kit.
    ken

Kevin,
    Not directly related to your model, but my experience pretty much mirrors what has been posted already. I built two Model IV-1200s. My first one cost ~ $30,000. $10,500 for the Kit, $10,000 for the engine and about that for a basic panel with Bendix king com and Transponder - all purchased new during the 1993-1998 build timeframe plus the finish. The finish paint was not then EPA targeted and was probably $40 or so a gallon - maybe $250.

The one I recently finished cost almost exactly the same - 14 years later. Previously owned kit - $9,000, Used 912 UL (150 hours) $10,000, and likely the same for the panel as I went with the MGL com and used on the Bendix King transponder (which looks new and works flawlessly). Keep in mind that now you will be paying close to $1200 for paint alone if you go with the Aerothane from Polyfiber and that brought the total once agian to about $30,000. A simple formula I use if you are going new is to take the kit price and times that by three. It is a pretty good indicator and is validated by estimates in previous responses.
    Lowell

I'm probably a bit behind Ken. Just started covering. Bought a used engine (O200) from that company up north in Minneapolis.... bad decision. had to buy a new crank, get case welded, etc. etc. Prop strike according to the case welder in OKC. paid $4k for the engine, will have about $9K in it when finished, with no labor charge. Oh well, learned a good lesson.

on my last project, I bought a used 912ULS from a builder parting out a Zenith Zodiac w/432 hrs. $10.5k Best deal I've ever gotten. That is a great engine.

I hope to come in around $40-50k with used avionics. Well used avionics....

Good Luck.

I'm still looking for a deal on a Grand Rapids EIS if anyone runs across one.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I figure $80,000 for mine

$27,000 for the kit with the options I wanted.
    $3,000 to ship
    $4,000 in provincial tax
    $1,000 ELT
    $1,000 lights
    $22,000 engine
    $5,000 FWF
    $8,000 For panel (Comm, Transponder, and EFIS)
    $1500 upholstery
    $3000-$5000 paint
    $2000 incidentals and changes/mods

Although they say you can build it with basic tools, ive still managed to rack up a couple grand in tools i didnt have.

I'm just about finished with my SS7 and will have about $70,000 in it. It is not a quick build, includes nearly all the Kitfox options except leading edge and prefab, 912s, Dynon Skyview, ELT, Garmin SL40, PS intercom, Kitfox suede interior package, aerothane paint, and standard tires (will go bigger later).

Jim

Wow, my series 5 cost $555.00 to ship to SC in '98.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 11-05-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Fixed your emocon.