Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 cost?

Default Re: 912 cost?

Some additional items, not supplied by Rotax but available from Kitfox:
    • Oil thermostat-highly recommended.
    • Cabin heater
    • Remote mounted oil pressure sensor-highly recommended.
    • Exhaust system.
    • Engine sensors:
      • EGT
      • Manifold pressure
      • Fuel pressure
      • Fuel flow
    • Air filters do not come with the engine.
    • Fuel filter does not come with the engine.
    • Throttle & choke cables do not come with the engine.
    Jim

Thanks for your replies and info. I have so much to learn. I was hoping to order the 912uls in December to beat a jan price increase and I would like to get as many of the accessories at the same time. I have a whirlwind 3-blade. I looked at aeroled lights at the Aopa convention last month. I have a mx-170b radio and transponder from a previous plane and am looking at a dynon flight deck 180 or the D-1 and ems-d10. I would like to be able to use the d-1 as a back up in another plane. I mention this because I am wondering about the aux alternator mentioned by Dave. All of Jim's suggestions seem necessary. I feel my wallet getting lighter. Maybe my wife will just get it all for me for christmas. I've been good! Jch

Jch- it is likely you will not need the aux. alternator. With the high useage of L.E.D. lighting now days, including landing, nav and strobes, we just don't have the power drain like we did 10 years ago. The 912 series engines are working just fine without the added complexity and weight of the aux. alternators. Well that is unless your adding heated seats, rear window defoggers and power door locks.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have lights and a glass panel and have had no trouble running without an aux alternator.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    Thanks for your replies and info. I have so much to learn.
    With the quote in mind, I would buy the engine to beat the price increase and wait on the other items. As time passes and you think about what you will want and then what you will really need, the other items can be picked up. They are pretty much off the shelf items and generally not that pricey.
    Lowell

Good morning,

1) With Lowell's response in mind......he is 100% correct. I ended up paying for an engine twice because of the sky#%@$ bankrupcy. I immediately ordered an engine from Rotax once I realized I was not going to get the original one I paid for. Had I waited, the second engine would have cost me several thousand dollars more.

2) I should have indicated the specifics of my system in my first post regarding use of the Aux alternator. When I made the decision to install the Aux alternator, my DAR was not very comfortable with LED lighting systems at the time because it was in the early stages of people utilizing them. Basically he told me...get the standard strobes and lighting and there will be no issues with getting your certificate....use the LDSs and you will have to develop the data and prove they meet the certification standards for aircraft lighting on your specific aircraft. The consequence is my lighting system plus the normal stuff would have been more than the primary alternator could keep up with. Right now it is a different world because the LEDs are well proven.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    ...my DAR was not very comfortable with LED lighting systems at the time because it was in the early stages of people utilizing them. Basically he told me...get the standard strobes and lighting and there will be no issues with getting your certificate....use the LDSs and you will have to develop the data and prove they meet the certification standards for aircraft lighting on your specific aircraft.
    DARs scare the what ever out of me. In the day, I put Whelan strobes in my first Model IV for the same reason. Most of the guys were using a non certified strobe that I was led to believe didn't have the lumen output that satisfied the standards. Then after spending 2X the cheapo price, the examiner didn't even ask me to turn them on. This time, I put in clearly home brew LEDs - Kitplanes design - the same thing. I guess it is a crap shoot - depends on who you get and what their focus is. In the Sacto area the FAA will do the inspections and they are all over themselves with the NTSB study on EAB accident statistics. They worked hard to make sure I didn't become an embarrassment to their office and focused pretty much on airworthiness issues.
    Lowell

What exactly is the difference between the 912 UL and ULS?

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    What exactly is the difference between the 912 UL and ULS?
    The UL is 80HP and the ULS is the 100HP.

The way the engines get the different HP includes a difference in displacement (ULS a little more), Compression Ratio (ULS a little higher)...which also requires a minimum 91 Octane (R+M/2) for the ULS rather than 87 Octane which the UL will live on quite nicely. There are a bunch of other smaller differences. Visually, the ULS has green colored rocker arm covers while the UL has black.

A complete rundown on features of each can be found on Rotax's website.

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive