Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 cost?

Default 912 cost?

I see the list prices for a new 912 seem to be in the $21,000 range. Is that what people are actually paying. Does anyone have experience with some of the rebuilt engines I occasionally see advertised? My experience is mostly with Lycoming/Continental, and I'm comfortable going used with them. The 912 looks like a more precise piece of equipment, so I'm more wary of a rebuild.

Default Re: 912 cost?

http://www.rotec.com

Those guys have factory zero timed engines for 5 to 7 thousand less

Where did you get the $21K figure and what model does this correspond to?

Just talking with a friend associated with LEAF and he said due to the falling value of the EURO versus the dollar, the price of Rotax engines has recently dropped and could continue to drop (depending on the politics).

Kitfox is also a distributor of 912 engines. John McBean has posted prices here for them before maybe he would update us on what he is getting now.

I've also heard rumors of a turbo charged, fuel injected 9XX model coming soon directly from Rotax that would be in the 140-150 hp range.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Where did you get the $21K figure and what model does this correspond to?

Just talking with a friend associated with LEAF and he said due to the falling value of the EURO versus the dollar, the price of Rotax engines has recently dropped and could continue to drop (depending on the politics).

Kitfox is also a distributor of 912 engines. John McBean has posted prices here for them before maybe he would update us on what he is getting now.

I've also heard rumors of a turbo charged, fuel injected 9XX model coming soon directly from Rotax that would be in the 140-150 hp range.
    The Rotax pricing adjusts quarterly and is based on the Euro... It has adjusted both up and down.. most recent was down..

Current Pricing for the Rotax Engines... Valid until the 1st of Jan 2013 (Although Kodiak is closed from the 22nd fo December)
    912UL $16387
    912ULS $17672
    912iS $23918
    914UL $30135

9XXi-Turbo ??? Rumors only at this time and is speculation...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jetsrforkids View Post
    I see the list prices for a new 912 seem to be in the $21,000 range. Is that what people are actually paying. Does anyone have experience with some of the rebuilt engines I occasionally see advertised? My experience is mostly with Lycoming/Continental, and I'm comfortable going used with them. The 912 looks like a more precise piece of equipment, so I'm more wary of a rebuild.
    Now I'm wary too, seeing that there were no responses to this question . . .

I've never seen an ad for a "rebuilt" 912. I have investigated overhauling/rebuilding my 912 at LEAF (my local Rotax shop) and they quoted me quite a large range depending on what is needed, from $5k to $10k.

The reason for the large range is often there are very few parts needed to "zero time" a 912. Due to the superior oil control and internal design they often don't even need machine work or pistons after as many as 2500+ hours. I was told that a "properly" maintained and often run motor may need little more than "soft" parts (Gaskets, seals, hoses, etc.) after the disassembly and inspection.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I've never seen an ad for a "rebuilt" 912. I have investigated overhauling/rebuilding my 912 at LEAF (my local Rotax shop) and they quoted me quite a large range depending on what is needed, from $5k to $10k.

The reason for the large range is often there are very few parts needed to "zero time" a 912. Due to the superior oil control and internal design they often don't even need machine work or pistons after as many as 2500+ hours. I was told that a "properly" maintained and often run motor may need little more than "soft" parts (Gaskets, seals, hoses, etc.) after the disassembly and inspection.
    Thanks for the info; most interesting. I thought the only "authorized" facility was in B.C. Canada. Where is your shop?

There are three major Rotax shops in the US.

Lockwood in Florida

LEAF in Wisconsin

CPS (California Power Systems) now owned by Aircraft Spruce in California.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

What accessories are recommended when ordering the 912 uls?

Hi Jeff,

Don't know if I would call this recommended accessories, probably better to consider it a partial list of what is available, what some have tried, and consider what a person wants in their specific plane. Each experimenter is going to come to different conclusions.

The major accessories that are available include: 1 Oil cooler...; )2) an induction system airbox, which has been discussed recently on this forum; 3) belt driven auxillary alternator, which is used to provide additional electrical power over the integral alternator (depends on your design load for your electrical system); 4) propellor controller/governor if a person has a constant speed prop which requires one.

There are minor items which a person might consider accessories: 1) auxillary/backup electric fuel pump; 2) The fuel system pressure bleed (maybe not the correct name for it) which helps prevent hot soak starting problems (flooding) particularily in hot weather. This was discussed on forum threads this summer/fall. 3) Carburetor heat....not many Rotaxes out there with this but there are at least two versions out there, a) conventional heated air intake carb hear and b) Electric carb base heaters.

This might not be an inclusive list; and, there are likely additional ideas out there.

Our Series 7 has the oil cooler, airbox, aux alternator, electric backup fuel pump; and hope to install the fuel pressure bleed.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Flying