Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bleeding the leaking

Default bleeding the leaking

Gentlemen-builders, I need some help once more: bleeding the brakes is done all right. However: the fluid reservoir (Matco) keeps leaking. I removed it, put the T-nylo-flow in again sealed with HighTack - but it keeps leaking. And with no pressure in that reservoir...;-((

What can i do??
    Last edited by HansLab; 11-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Default Re: bleeding the leaking

Quote Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
    Gentlemen-builders, I need some help once more: bleeding the brakes is done all right. However: the fluid reservoir (Matco) keeps leaking. I removed it, put the T-nylo-flow in again sealed with HighTack - but it keeps leaking. And with no pressure in that reservoir...;-((

What can i do??
    Hans, Sounds like things have loosened up. You might give some plumbers tape a try, but brake fluid may eat the stuff...not sure. Best thing to do might be to replace the T-fitting. If it still leaks, then you know the reservoir threads are shot.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Dan I guess you are right: tried all three exits of the T; all of 'm leaking.
    Is there (besides plumbers tape, it is eaten..) any rubber grommet that I can try before ordering a new fluid container? - it takes some time to get it over here - and all this time the brakelines are disconnected ;-)

I originally used teflon tape on my brake fittings but experienced bad leaking. i removed all traces of the tape and resealed with HighTack and have had no leaks since then.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

:Brake fluid will eat teflon tape.

my HighTak was eaten, as well..;-(

Hans,
    Have tyou checked the master cylinder for cracks . That might be a possibility. I am interested in the brake fluid eating teflon comment. Both my Model IVs - first one 900 hours over nine years and current one only about six months with brake fluid installed were sealed with teflon tape and no leaks to date. Which brings up another thought. The aviation fluid recommended is different than automotive fluid. Are you using the right brake fluid?
    Lowell

Good point Lowell, Dot 3 and 4 does'nt like teflon in my uses on the farm. maybe treads are cut too deep. That happens if the pipe tap used is dull.

Tx for thinking with me: I am using the right fluid (mil 5606 h). In fact I put all possible solutions in a can filled with the fluid - so, give me a few days and I Will report the findings. In my case, teflon would be most helpfull. Let's see if the fluid doesn't wat it.
    Concerning too dep threads: I tried all three parts of the T: all of them leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox5v View Post
    :Brake fluid will eat teflon tape.

Teflon tape is not affected or "eaten" by brake fluid. However, a common problem is improper application resulting in the possibility of getting particles of the tape into your system. That is why many people recommend avoiding it with aircraft pipe thread fittings in general.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime