Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bleeding the leaking

Default Re: bleeding the leaking

Hans,

I would definitely use MIL 5606 fluid in your Matco Brakes. It is non-corrosive and very heat resistant. The red dye in it makes leaks easy to find.

For sealing your leaks use Permatex Pneumatic Hydraulic Sealant Part Number: 54540. It is available all over Europe but you may have to order it at your local auto parts. I can't recommend using teflon tape with the risk of pieces breaking off and wroking their way into your brake system. the last thing you need is to have a brake lock up. It gets really exciting if you lock a brake in a tail dragger.

John

A couple of comments: Mil 5606 is really not a brake fluid, it is an aircraft hydraulic fluid. Of course a brake system is a hydraulic system and many aircraft (including Kitfox) use 5606 in the brakes. The 5606 is a high quality mineral based oil, totally different from automotive "brake fluid". The 5606 should be compatible with any sealant normally used in oil lubrication or hydraulic systems.

I am using the Permatex Tack & Seal 9AR (80938) that the Kitfox manual recommends for the fuel, oil, and water systems. My project is not flying yet, so I can't claim anything about leaks yet, but I do believe that this stuff is totally compatible with oils, fuel and water.

Jim

All three ends on the T sealed with high tack and leaking under no pressure tells me some non compatible fittings may have gotten into the system by mistake.

I put teflon tape on my brake fittings 12 years ago and no leakes ever.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

On my SS7 w/Grove Brakes , I called Grove and they use "TiteSeal" part #T25-66 on their brake systems w/ mil 5606 hyd. fluid.My friendly A&P recommended TiteSeal.