Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox down

Brakes locked up , they must be way better brakes than my matco .i do well keeping the plane from rolling just doing a mag check .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Does he have big feet? It is possible that he got on the brakes and got his toes hung up and could not get off them. I have had that happen to me in my avid, but as others have mentioned, it is darn near impossible using stock matco brakes to lock them up enough to go over on its back.

When I got mine the fuse was buckled and bent behind the turtle deck as you are describing do to a gear leg failure and a trip to its back. Totalt time of cutting and welding to replace buckled tubes in the fuse and a new rudder post was under 7 hours. While I was at it, I welded in gussets on the side of the fuse to totaly plate in the lower longerons from the firewall to behind the strut attach point. My gear may fail, but I dont think the fuse will buckle right at the seat truss anymore.

Tube and fabric is way easier to replace and straighten than aluminum and a million rivets!

Thanks Akflyer. I'm glad to hear this may be an easier project than I initially had expected.

The engine is at the overhaul shop and will be back at the house in less than 2 weeks.

Im leaning to the 3 blade ivo ul ground adjustable prop and polished spinner 68"

My engine mount is bent as well. Ill post in the wanteds, but does anyone have a rotax 2stroke mount hanging around after your 900 series upgrade?

Akflyer, did you strip the fulselage from nose to tail? Or just aft of the turtledeck to the tail?

Taildrager..... he know just how much brake and tail down force but une day he might flip..... but he is in control!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHkp...eature=g-all-u

Steve doesn't even need a tailwheel on that plane! He wears that thing like you would wear your favorite pair of jeans!

As a side note, he is running a modified 912S in that plane. His engine builder shaved the pistons to lower the compression and added a turbo kit from someone like Bully Hawk. Apparently it's making somewhere in the 140 hp range.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos