Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox down

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox down

Well, no one hurt much, a few scrapes and bruises, but the IV-1200 didn't fare so well. She had come to a quick stop and flipped right over on her back.
    By the time I got to the field, she was back on her feet. She looked very unhappy. I got her back in the barn and cleaned up so I could assess the damage.

Now I didn't build her, but now I may get a good taste of what the builder went through. But I need some help to get me going. I don't know if all kitfoxes are similarly damaged when this occurs. But this list may ring bells for those who have seen this. I Kinda need to know if this is a totaled bird.

The worst damage that I can see is the fuselage is bent pretty good aft of the turtle deck and forward of the stabilizers. I haven't cut the skin to see the extend of the damage. It is almost so bad that I thought the fuselage was completely separated at this point. Is getting an new fuselage frame my only option?

So from front to back...Spinner, blades, engine inspection and appropriate mounts/hardware. The bump round cowling took many hits, rudder/brake pedals, Windshield/overhead(1 piece), fuel tank caps, rudder and the main strut-to-wing attach fittings. AND the fuselage skeleton. That doesn't account for anything I may find when I tear is apart.

So, where to start?
    Last edited by deejayel; 11-02-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added a few sentence