Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Paint for Instrument Panel

Default Paint for Instrument Panel

Someone posted on the forum a brand of textured paint that he used on his instrument panel and was very happy with it. It came in a rattle can and sounds like something I want to use, but I can't seem to find it on the forum. I believe it was within the last year. Anyone remember it?

Jim

Default Re: Paint for Instrument Panel

Probably Rustoleum Hammered. I used it on the tube frame in the cockpit as I didn't like the blue powder coat. I liked the textured look as it allows me to brush touch all the inevitable scratches periodically and it will hide the brushmarks.
    Lowell

Here's a link to that thread...hope it works. Don't really know how else to set a hyperlink yet here.

Go to:
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ght=Pilot4life

Quoted a reply for quick answer....

Re: fun on the beach
    hi pilot4life, we used rust-oleum multicolor textured, it comes in about 5 colors and is so tough mek won,t cut it after about 5 min. a tip on labeling for switches and c/b,s. paint a smooth paint with the shade you want where you want your labels to go. after that dries use vinyl fine line tape to mask where the labels go. after the top coat is put on you can apply the labels on the smooth area. i used a brother label maker with clear label material. you might have to make a few to make it fit like you want. go lightly with the first couple of coats as the top coat will soften the smooth paint below, thats how i know about the mek.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Thanks very much. That was the thread I was looking for.
    I also will be using a Brother label maker with black on clear tape. Do you really think it will be necessary to mask off smooth places for the labels to stick properly?

Jim

I do...I've tried to get my labels to stick on other projects, but found that grit get on the adhesive and it comes off. Perhaps it'd be a bit easier to sand down the finish in the areas where the labels would go...I'm going to use an engraved plate. Here's a picture of the plate idea (Lower Right Corner)...

image.jpg
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!