Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Glovebox Latch

Default Glovebox Latch

I am looking for ideas on a simple latch to hold the glovebox hinged panel closed. Am not real thrilled about a magnetic latch; they can be very strong and hard to release on a small panel.

Jim

Default Re: Glovebox Latch

Jim,
    I did use a magnetic latch of sorts. I have some center drilled small magnets. I mounted one on the side of the opening facing sideways into the box and the one on the lid is on a small 90° tab to face the box mounted magnet. When opening they slide across each other and as a result it is not a snap separation, but a progressive sliding separation.

As you can see from the photo, not planning for the new GPS created a bigger issue, but it does swing away easily.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't use any kind of latch , installed springs in the hinge to keep the door closed . The are some pictures in my 40kf album . I can get better pics if your interested
    Last edited by cap01; 10-17-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Jim,

I used a cabinet latch, identified as "Liberty Double Roller C Clip Catch", ....a picture can be found on the Home Depot site searching on the terms.

Was less than $1 at time of purchase and can be adjusted for tension by bending the legs that go around the rollers.

I was concerned about using a magnet also....mostly because I wanted to avoid any unnecessary interference with the compass.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF7 Trigear

Thanks for the ideas.
    Yes, Chuck I would be interested in how you put a spring on the hinge.

Jim

winged chamloc
    Dj Series 6

jim , not a good pic but the spring is in the center of the hinge . had to remove part of the hinge to make room for the spring . the door end of the spring is trapped between the hinge flang and the door when they were assembled sos to push the door closed . took a little head scratching to get the spring to spring in the correct direction but its been working great . went all out for the door pull . used a piece of nylon strap looped with a nr 6 screw thru it and the door also makes a good place to clip a pen so i dont have to root around looking for something to write with .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa