Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot Tubes.

Default Pitot Tubes.

If I am going with an all glass panel, is the pitot tube still needed? Just curious. I am still going to build it in; but??? Thanks for the input.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Pitot Tubes.

Yes. The glass units still need pitot-ram and static sources.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Av8r3400. Thought so, but wanted to be sure.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Hi: Tom from Coeur dAlene. Saw your post. Just finished putting Dynon Skyview in my kitfox under construction. Would like to come over and see your project. Advise a convenient time and I'll drive over from CDAL.

Invitation is also extended to come down to the hanger at Carlin Bay and see my project.

Sent you a private message. I am home from the hospital and looking forward to meeting up with you.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I am in the process of installing my pitot set up. I have the pitot tube, but can't find the tube to connect the tubing inside the wing. Do I just cut a small length off the pitot tube or do I need to find a 1/4" aluminum tube from somewhere. Also, I see posts about AOA pitot setups-what is that? They sure look nice. Thanks for your help.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

You may find this page from Avery Tools helpful.

John at Kitfox suggested using a short piece of Tygon tubing to connect the aluminum pitot tube to the 1/4" plastic tubing that runs thru the wing. I ended up flaring the aluminum tube and then used an adapter fitting from Avery to make the connection.

If you want AOA (angle of attack) read out in the cockpit you must run a second tube thru the wing to pick up an AOA port. There are several manufacturers of these: Dynon, Advanced, etc. I used the Dynon which has the second AOA port on an angled face on the lower side of their pitot tube. Very easy to install. Some folks like the Advanced system better because it is somewhat more accurate, but installs completely different. If you search this forum for AOA or angle of attack there is a lot more information.

Jim

I slipped a B nut over the 1/4" plastic tubing, flared the plastic tube and screwed it on the fitting. The plastic tube flares easily and seals tight.

John