Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Voyager 5 gear

Default Voyager 5 gear

Does the Kitfox 5 convert from trike to tail wheel like the 7. I know it uses the grove style gear.
    Tom t

Default Re: Voyager 5 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
    Does the Kitfox 5 convert from trike to tail wheel like the 7. I know it uses the grove style gear.
    Tom t
    Tom, no the conversion came on a later model Kitfox (the 6 i believe) Bruce Lina N199CL

I also believe the 6 was the first model that was convertable so you could select whatever configuration you wanted to fly with and then change it later if you wanted.

I know a guy that was building a 5 and he had the hard points added to his frame before he covered it. I don't know if he to do some other things to his frame to go along with the additional hard points.

If you are not covering yet maybe you could explore that option if it is important to you.

Tom, I have a "98 series 5 and it could have come as a vixen which I didnt order. I have ask about change but Kitfox said I can't. There will be 2 sets of weldments front and back for spring gear to mount but I still think I could weld one in. mine has been on hold for a while but I'm working on it now. Hope this helps. Eddie

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Model 6 is first to have the capability to quick change from tailwheel to trike.

You could add the capability to a five with some pretty major work on a finished one, like mentioned previous . if its not covered then it could be
    done a lot easier.

I was told by the factory that you could put all 7 series improvements on a model five, but the landing gear quick change would be a fairly significant job to do.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Kevin I know the 5 could have come nose wheel. I was there, if not why does kitfox offer nose gear for series 5 vixen and voyger on there parts catalog. Don't talk about thing you don't know for sure. people who bought them in 98' know, we were there. don't make statements you can't back up. good day Page 38 nose gear kit.
    Last edited by kitfox5v; 11-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox5v View Post
    Kevin I know the 5 could have come nose wheel. I was there, if not why does kitfox offer nose gear for series 5 vixen and voyger on there parts catalog. Don't talk about thing you don't know for sure. people who bought them in 98' know, we were there. don't make statements you can't back up. good day Page 38 nose gear kit.
    I own a 2000 age kit , It is called the Outback ( taildragger ). It cannot be quickly switched to a nosewheel configuration . It does not have the rear weldments for attaching the main landing gear further back for the tri gear setup.

Yes the model 5 could of been purchased with a nosewheel, trigear setup(Vixen/Voyageur) .

Maybe the Vixen can be easily switched to a taildragger ? I don't own one so I can't say.

but I do know my Outback. I would need to have landing gear attachments welded onto the airframe where the mains would attach on a Trigear. That's the way it is on my Outback, and I know that.

Oh and thanks for telling me what I know , good way of riling up this old grunt!
    Last edited by kmach; 11-04-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Kevin, True I do not have the weldments in my kit. If i had know I was going to think about changing I could have ordered it. If you would like I can send you a 1998 publication of a vixen with a nose wheel. Sorry for the way I came across. Just some people think the 6 is first and its not. By the way I am installing the hardpoints in mine before I get too far. I will also order the engine mount with nose wheel so I can change if I decide to. again sorry Eddie