Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SS Lexan doors

Default SS Lexan doors

I have a stupid question that I hope someone can answer... maybe Desert Fox 1? I'm building my SS with the "standard" Lexan plastic rather than the "bubble" acrylic door panels. Is it ok to "relax" (flatten a little) the bend in the plastic with carefully applied heat from a heat gun? Any hints or suggestions to help these panels fit tightly to the frames without a lot of stress would be appreciated.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: SS Lexan doors

If it is quality and real Lexan... a heat gun will work fine. Just be easy on it. I have made quite a few custom vintage race car windshields for prototype cars and so forth. just don't keep heating and letting it cool. it will make it brittle and yellow... try to get on and off the lexan with the heat and leave it alone.

A friend of mine made a 3 windshield from lexan and it looks great just heat it slow and cool it slow. not too close not too hot.

Some people like to take towels with warm water and put on the back side of the lexan while heating and bending it. Their theory is that you don't make it brittle. I mean after all, thats what we are using lexan for, it is resilient. I've never put so much heat on it to actually change the integrity!

Thanks you guys! I've played with it a little now, with good results... I really appreciate you both taking the time to share your thoughts/experiences.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I am wanting to put full length lexan on my fox. Where did you get the lexan that you used? I've looked on Lowe's website and they have a 36" X 48" sheet, 1/8" thick and was wondering if this would be sufficient.
    Fred

1/8" is way too thick. You want 1/16 (.060) lexan. I got mine from Mcmaster for $42 per 4x4ft sheet.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Thanks for this. I was able to buy a sheet that will do both doors for less than what it cost at Lowe's or Hm Depot for only one door.
    Fred