Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor fabric repair.

Default Minor fabric repair.

Today I noticed a small "hangar rash" eruption in the horizontal stab leading edge.
    What is the quickest way to patch it? Is there the equivalent of a "Band-Aid" for fabric repairs?

Thanks,

Roberto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Minor fabric repair.

Duct tape to the rescue! Works great....one you find the time for a permanent repair,simply peel it off and repair.
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

What Paint?
    Lowell

My experience is with the polyfiber system. For just that small bit of damage, I'd use an iron on a very low setting to smooth the edges, then dab a bit of color over the scrape with a paintbrush. Keep in mind that the iron will melt and make a mess of the color & all of the other layers if you turn it up over 200F. You'll still see the scar, but with the touchup it won't be so noticable.

If you want to do it right, you can take the paint & covering off in just that area with MEK, and adhere a pinked edge patch to the damage. Then use a touchup sprayer to rebuild through polybrush, polyspray, and the color.

One item I find very helpful is a small sheet of Teflon, put between the iron and the fabric minimizes the mess. I used this quite a bit while covering and on a few very small repairs.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
    Duct tape to the rescue! Works great....one you find the time for a permanent repair,simply peel it off and repair.
    packaging tape, you know that clear stuff.

Aluminum foil also works good between the iron and painted fabric
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I've had some good success with the adhesive backed dacron sail repair tape in the past. Scuff up an area slightly larger than the patch, and then you can apply your silver and color dopes to "hide" the patch.

Another idea for this particular repair area might be to apply black leading edge tape across the front of both stabilizers. It is good protection for the Kitfox aircraft.

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that, for the time being, I am not concerned about the looks. I only want to make sure the hole does not get bigger, the fabric does not separate, etc. Since I did not build the plane, I do not have any fabric or glue leftovers to use.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    What Paint?
    Sorry, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    packaging tape, you know that clear stuff.
    OK, I'll bite. I must ask, are you serious? (I am not being sarcastic.) Will either one last for, let's say, two months?

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    I've had some good success with the adhesive backed dacron sail repair tape in the past.
    OK, there are a couple boating stuff stores nearby. I'll ask there.

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    Another idea for this particular repair area might be to apply black leading edge tape across the front of both stabilizers
    I like this suggestion. After a little pre-treatment of the scratch it could be a permanent fix. Also, black polyurethane tape will look OK with the current yellow paint.

Roberto.

I had a little piece of fiberglass separate and flake off. I found that Bondo makes a small tube of filler (It comes out of the tube bright red) does not have to be mixed. I filled the small space sanded it down and painted over it and it seem to be holding nicely. Can't tell there was ever a problem.
    Chuck