Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor fabric repair.

Default Re: Minor fabric repair.

Quote Originally Posted by rwaltman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I should have added that, for the time being, I am not concerned about the looks. I only want to make sure the hole does not get bigger, the fabric does not separate, etc. Since I did not build the plane, I do not have any fabric or glue leftovers to use.

Sorry, I don't know.

OK, I'll bite. I must ask, are you serious? (I am not being sarcastic.) Will either one last for, let's say, two months?

OK, there are a couple boating stuff stores nearby. I'll ask there.

I like this suggestion. After a little pre-treatment of the scratch it could be a permanent fix. Also, black polyurethane tape will look OK with the current yellow paint.

Roberto.
    dead serious. I put a trim tab on my rudder, the plastic wedge type, used packaging tape on all four corners and than painted white over it. Has been over 3 years and still looks like I just did it.

I put the same tape for gap seals and still holding, with paint on the top for looks.

nuff said. these are slow airplanes, you don't need to treat them like lancairs.

Default Re: Minor fabric repair.

Duct tape works VERY well.

I currently have 2 "repairs" done with duct tape:
    1) The leading edge of my left wing has a small tear in it... don;t know how it happened, and I will repair it over winter, but right now I have an 8" x 2" strip of red duct tape (wanted to match my win color) over the tear. It's been there since April, and I've put on about 70 hours since. Still looks great.

2) Earlier this year, I removed the bungee gear and installed Grove spring gear..... that left a large hole under the cabin. I covered the hole with duct tape, and like the wing, I will repair it permanently over winter.

BTW... not quite the same, but the Mythbusters TV show covered and entire Belite with duct tape to prove a plane could be covered with duct tape, and fly properly...... it did!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop