Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Any KF owners live in Middle Tennessee?

Default Any KF owners live in Middle Tennessee?

I have a 5 acre strip of land south of Nashville. My strip is 2500x100. Is this enough to use a Kitfox 5 on? I have my PPL and have about 100 hours in a C-172. I am ready to own something for nice evenings and sunset cruise's. I would really like to fly in a 5 to see if it's for me or not. My neighbors love to go up in the 172 and they enjoy the occasional fly by's. I live in the country, so gunfire and loud cars, etc is the normal. There are trees at the end of the northbound runway, and a 4' high fence at the end of the other. So it is not a usable 2700' per say. I do keep the grass mowed down regularly. It is fairly smooth and relatively level and flat. There's a slight "mound mid field" . Any thoughts? Is my runway acceptable for a KF5 ? How hard will it be for the average guy to transition to the KF5 from a 172? Thanks folks. Keith

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Any KF owners live in Middle Tennessee?

Hi,

I have a farm grass strip, the longest runway is 2000' ,with an intersecting rwy at 1600' .

Both are more than long enough for a KF5 or any other KF's , I made them long enough so I could get visitors with the more cessna like aircraft.

Take off typically uses about 300' - 400' at full gross weight , depending on density altitude.

I usually use around 800-1000' on landing, light to no headwind, on a typical "not a big deal/ kiss it on" touchdown, roll out, to a very slow 180 turn,

it all depends on your approach , speed , and how much float . with a higher speed at the flare , it will float a ways until it settles, They want to keep flying !

I have landed solo, real slow approach, three point touchdown, and rolled out to a stop in under 300' , this is with hardly a breath of wind.

So YES your strip would be awesome for a KF5, and you will love it !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I guess I have really underestimated their performance. I am scared of the 2 stroke engines. However I know they are way cheaper with say a 582? VS a real aircraft engine such as a 115? HP Lycoming/Conti. Thanks for your input.

I might be wrong , but, I don't think the model 5 had a 2 stroke engine as an engine option.

I think the smallest engine for a 5 was the Rotax 80hp four stroke 912 UL , these I think, were on the earlier model 5's that had a gross weight of 1400lbs .

My 5 has the rotax 100hp ULS , four stroke, boxer config and a gross weight of 1550lbs.

I believe some model 5's have engines as big as 135 Hp, and are lycomings and continentals.

I do know that compared to a cessna 150 with an 0-200 , My model 5 with the rotax 100hp will outperform the cessna in all areas, and it has room in the cockpit comparable with the 172.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Did they quit making the 5? I only see a 4 and 7 still available. I like the Extra 300 looking cowl in the 5 compared to that of the 4 with the radial cowl. With an oversized tundra type tire, is the gear pretty sturdy in taildragger form? My strip needs smoothing out and I am bringing in topsoil and reseeding this winter. My buddy landed a Maule STOL on it last year and said it was a bit rough, but "not for an oversized tire plane". Does anybody go on XC's in these birds? I know I am asking a lot of questions... I suppose I should read more! Thanks, Keith

The model 5 is basically the same airframe as the model 7,

the model 6 was an improved upon model 5, with fittings that provide a convertible quick change from nosewheel to tailwheel, with some different engine options and I believe a larger elevator .

the model 7 is the latest with all the changes,engine options, improvements.

I think you can do all the mods to a model 5 to get it to have the features of a model 7 , the quick change landing gear fittings would require a fairly significant retrofit though.

If you go to the Kitfox website ( click top left ad) In the history section they go thru the evolution of the Kitfox from the 1's to today's model 7 and their features .

People fly xc all over , and land in the roughest of places. do do some searching on this site you will find all the info you want.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Keith
    I live about an hour's drive north of Nashville in Hopkinsville, Ky. Finished building a model 7 supersport last year. It's hangared at HVC. You're welcome to come up and take a look and go for a flight sometime. Might help make up your mind. Send me an email if you are interested at danieltpowell@gmail.com.
    Danny