Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flaparon end caps

Default flaparon end caps

the foam end caps that come with the kit on the flaps seems a little cheesy, if you bump them up agianst anything hard they dent, what have other folks used in the place of these foam ends? where can i get replacement that are little more durable? in fact where can i just get the replacement foam ones? can the foam be fiber glass over without chemically melting them? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs up Re: flaparon end caps

Try Williams Aviation.

Dutch.

Default Re: flaparon end caps

I believe Kitfox sells plastic endcaps, look in the catalog.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Yes we do.. for both the Symetrical and Asymetrical.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Symetrical and Asymetrical, without actually comparing the 2 side by side . what is best way to tell what flap i have? they both look the same?

We used balsa wood with a thin coat of epoxy over it. Worked out very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by vixenrookie View Post
    Symetrical and Asymetrical, without actually comparing the 2 side by side . what is best way to tell what flap i have? they both look the same?
    Symmetrical will be equal curve on both sides. Like a tear drop. Asymmetrical will have one side(the bottom) that is relatively flat(like the wing).

this sight rocks ,you people are wonderful help. now i just need order a couple.

I used balsa wood here and also to fair the ends of the horizontal stab and elevator with epoxy varnish as a finish. Much less prone to hanger rash.

Jim

I guess right now I am favoring the foam. This might be a good time to learn a new technique. The foam is designed to be covered with a hard epoxy like surface that can be sanded. My original plans called for using the 3M structureal adhesive - a beast to sand. Do a search for microballoons and get some. You may find it locally. It is a glass powder that consists of microscopic hollow glass spheres. When mixed with epoxy resin, it acts as a filler and by proportioning the mix, it makes up a bondo like substance, but much easier to sand and very light weight. depending on the job, I like it in a very thick almost runny consistency to stiff peanut butter like. I mixed it in the 2 oz. portion cups available at Costco or Sams Club.

I used this everywhere on my airplane. You can use it on top of the wing tanks to get rid of the annoying sags on the top surface - that do show through the fabric. It can be used on the cowl to finesse the top and bottom joint or to fill oops drillled holes or those annoying bubbles in the gelcoat. On the flaperon ends, it is definitely out of harms way and though made of foam, you will never find it deforms unless more than the tips are damaged.

It might take several applications, sanding between and for the final layor on a flat surface, I use a single edge razor blade as a squeegee.

Lowell