Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Workshop / Basement question

Default Workshop / Basement question

Hi
    New to forum, noodling building a Super Sport. I have a below grade basement with a hatchway. Trying to figure out if I could build the wing in basement.. Then get it out!

Does anyone have a general dimension of an assembled wing they could send me?

Also, at what stage does the ventilation requirements come into the equation? I do not want to be spraying in the confined space, but am curious if I could start covering then move out to a hangar. Does the poly fiber fabric tak and brush need the ventilation?

Thanks, look forward to staying tuned in and appreciate any and all feedback.

Default Re: Workshop / Basement question

Using Stewart Systems adhesive, I covered the wings and tail feathers in the family room. No fumes or odors at all.

Jim,

The wing length is 13' 6 1/2", according to my jigging notes......same as the spar length. I do not have the chord dimension.

I assembled the wings in the basement during the winter; and, prior to attempting this, made a stick frame the same length/chord of the wing from the spar/rib dimensions after I got the kit and checked to see if it would fit up and down the stairs.....it did.

A person can use the hysol without a ventilation problem; but, for the poly tac & poly brush ventilation is mandatory .... I also epoxy primed the wing before covering... poly tac, poly brush, poly spray, paint all have solvents you do not want in the house. I did the covering in the garage with the doors open. Paint spraying outside. all with a vapor respirator.

Sincerely,

Dave S.
    KF7 Trigear - flying
    912ULS, Warp Drive

Chord dimension is 42 inches.

Thanks to all for the replies. This forum is major plus! Now off to figure if I have the space.

Thanks again

I built mine in a quite small garage, it got along, though.
    PolyFibre without ventilation looks to me a no-go: weeks after the spraying is done the bricks of the garage still smell a bit (on the outside...) ;-)))
    Great stuff, however - could advise anyone. Dunno Steward, although there was a nice article in Kitplanes, a month or zo ago.
    Succes with your building - it is great fun!!