Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA Registration

Default FAA Registration

Holy CRAP! I can't believe it!

I sent my registration paperwork off on Tuesday August 21st. They processed it on August 24th and I already got my official registration card in the mail today August 31st. That's 10 days from sending it out. Was expecting weeks if not a month or more. I'm impressed to say the least.

Side note - Also, I did not have an original bill of sale from Skystar so I had to send in the form letter from the current Kitfox company explaining the ownership changes along with the casual bill of sales from the prior two owners, and a copy of the kit invoice. Apparently went off without a hitch.

I guess I better get to work and finish everything up so I can go flying.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 08-31-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: FAA Registration

One step closer
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Geowitz,

I found the registration process exceedingly smooth also when we registered our aircraft. I got the living daylights screwed out of myself because of the skystar bankrupcy including no bill of sale. The OK city people were very accomodating and very understanding about the scrapes we get into through no fault of our own. Did their job well and quickly.

Now that you have that hurdle passed easily.....we expect to hear of your project completion soon. Good luck with everything and enjoy your plane.

Sincerely,

Dave S

I hope no one throws stones at me for saying this but I have had nothing but good things to say about my interaction with the FAA. I deal with the Houston FSDO and they have been nothing but helpful to me. I just got my repairman's certificate without any issues even though I was one of several people that had a hand in building my plane. I have heard horror stories about the FAA but I haven't experienced any in my area. Maybe I am just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    I have had nothing but good things to say about my interaction with the FAA.
    Same here. My only interaction with the FAA was requesting a new airworthiness certificate for my Kitox, (Original was lost in a basement flooding.)
    The FAA employes I had contact with were very professional, and very helpful.
    I was asked to bring the logbooks to the FSDO in Sadle Brook, NJ, answer a few questions, and had my new certificate in a mater of days.

Roberto.

THANK YOU for posting this! There are probably several more of us in the building process that do not have the original SkyStar paperwork. I have the original builders manual, the invoice, and packing lists though. It's good to hear that we at least have a chance of not having a big paper exchange for months!!

Can't wait to read how well it goes for you from here on out! Have a great and safe weekend.

Cheers, Grover

I fully agree with Geowitz, the FAA is great to work with. I tried to register my model III without using the letter from Kitfox and sending paper work showing the chain of ownership. Forget it if you are thinking of it, it does not work. Use the letter from Kitfox and it will fly right through with little problems. I received my AW certificate Wednesday night, I told my wife as we were doing and going over paper work that I felt like a kid in a candy store, was a great feeling when I was handed that pink slip.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but my approach to having a previously owned kit registered with no bill of sale trail at all, was based on a guy's post to another discussion group years ago. He simply checked the box - assembled from miscellaneous parts. I did the same and was prepared to show all that I had contributed hoping it would be sufficiently miscellaneous, but the question was never asked. I guess, I would use the Kitfox Aircraft letter as a first choice if I were to do it again. It did cause a bit of uncertainty. One thing I would definitely do if I were to do it again would be to register it much sooner, maybe six months or so before completion.
    Lowell

My buddy and I bought a partial built kit from the estate of an 84 year old gentleman in Kingman AZ. He had a revocable living trust (no will) with his daughter as administrator. She wrote us an AC bill of sale as the administrator. The FFA would not accept it. They wanted a notarized Will naming her as administrator. We went through over six months of gov bureaucrats and were told something different by three different workers. Finally, a lady in OK told us there was a document on the FAA website that the daughter could fill out , get notarized and the FAA would accept it.
    According to the FAA the man was en testate, or however it's spelled.
    If I had it to do over again I would follow Lowell's method.
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 09-01-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Add info
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Super old thread, but I'm researching this topic as I'm about to register a Sky Star Kitfox with no bill of sale. The form you are referring to is called an Heir at Law form. I went through this with a Kitfox 3 where the owner had died and I was buying it from his wife. Once that form was filled out, it was no problem. I'm just responding to this thread, so incase anyone else sees it, they will know what form to look for. JImChuk

PS, the DAR I'm working with says the assembled from parts option can get quite complicated. Perhaps rules have been tightened up on that.