Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA Registration

Default Re: FAA Registration

My interaction with the FAA went smoothly years ago. Here recently, it's been a different story. Like you mentioned, I selected "built from parts" since I did not have a bill of sale for the kit. I sent in my PPWK in along the kitfox letter, and kitfox form printed from their site. They sent it back stating that the wording on the bill of sale was wrong and told me what to write. I was confused since I did not send in a bill of sale. Apparently they considered the kitfox letter and the kitfox form..... the bill of sale. They sent it back to me and followed up with a phone call (I could obviously tell they knew they made a mistake) telling me to remove the statement that I was told to write originally. I did as they said, sent it back and got my registration card a few weeks later. Yay! Confetti, champagne!

FFWD to my DAR inspection about 2 weeks ago. Everything good to go. Got my AWC. My DAR said that my plane was the best built airplane he has ever seen and said that I could probably be the head a boss at NASA with my building skills. (I made the last statement up.... I don't want to work for NASA)

Happy day, Yay! .....confetti and champagne....AWC in hand!

Yesterday I get an email from the FAA saying my AWC application was denied. Grrrrr!!! Very frustrated. I called the DAR and he is trying to figure out what the FAA did or is doing that caused this. Obviously a PPWK issue with the FAA since he (DAR) would be the one to issue a Denial letter for an unsafe plane and he did not.

So needless to say, it's hit or miss with the FAA. I am wondering if my debacle is because I selected "built from parts" and the FAA is basically saying, no, it's a kit, because you have a bill of sale....albeit, one that they basically created.... but technically, there is now a bill of sale.

Hope yours goes more smoothly.

I talked with my DAR yesterday, and he said to call the registrations office. Said I will have to wait for someone to talk to me, but get their direction on how to go. Well I've called several times this morning, and when I finally get to the point of being able to ask to talk to someone, it says they are overloaded and to call back at another time. They don't even put me on hold. They are currently processing registrations from December 8. Wow, unbelievable. JImChuk

Jerry,

Sorry for your bad luck with getting your plane's paperwork through. Often it takes quite a bit more work to unsnaggle something once there have been questions. Certainly work with your DAR who is in a good position to determine what the question is.

Avidflyer's comments are right on - reasonably, the FAA needs to have an adequate explanation for the lack of a bill of sale. I had the same situation with the BOS missing due to the skystar bankruptcy but FAA had no problem with it because there was an explanation (and some paperwork about the bankruptcy).

I don't know if the "assembled from parts" is their continuing issue in your case or not; but, I do know that route has been been fairly controversial as the FAA has run into cases where someone was simply rebuilding a standard certificated aircraft and attempting to register it as an experimental, or some frankenplane of mixed lineage. FAA central is all about paperwork documentation and consistency - if something doesn't match it is treated as a denial. That famous old saying of Admiral Rickover to defense department employees probably applies to FAA employees too - "If you are going to sin, be sure you sin against god rather than the bureaucracy so you have some hope of being forgiven" - so there is often a lot of careful deliberation.

In any case, keep with your DAR I am sure that is your best route.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I was able to talk to the FAA later this morning, and it seems like it won't be too hard.... They want forms 8050-1, 8050-88, FAA bill of sale (preferred), letter and form from Kitfox explaining that Sky Star is out of business, and notarized letter explaining all, and why you can't produce a bill of sale from the kit manufacturer. Sounds easy. We shall see! :-) JImChuk

Ok, here it goes.
    I bought a kitfox model IV fuselage and some misilaneous parts from a guy in Jersey shore PA in 2019. His name was David McCormick, he died that Aug in an ACROSPORT crash. I never got a bill of sale for that purchase of $5000.00
    I then ordered several parts from Kitfox and some parts from Aircraft Spruce and had landing gear made. I was needing a wing so I searched around for a kitfox wing and found another fella also by the name of Dave in MD and i have the receipt for the kit in the form of a Bank check reciept with his name and my Wife's name.
    So I am using that kits wing on my original fuse.

How likely am I to have issues registering this?

Worried that I have a useless collection of AC parts in the garage.
    Last edited by FoxHunter; 11-17-2023 at 07:07 PM.

There is a box on the registration form 8050-88 that has a box you can check that says the airplane was built from parts. (see the link below) That might be the way to go in this case. I would run it by the DAR that you are going to use first though. He will be the guy who says yes or no in the end. JImChuk
    Microsoft Word - 805088Paul.DOT (faa.gov)

Unhappy Re: FAA Registration

I'll Have to get with the FSDO to see who will be the DAR. Thanks for the reply. Trying to all the mental gymnastics and all I see is I am loosing. I hope not. If things go south there will be a bunch of Kitfox Model IV parts for sale.

I agree with Jim. The FSDO where I am was helpful, hopefully yours is as well. I think what screwed my situation up was the processor getting the Kitfox letter and that I selected "built from parts". Personally, in your situation, I think I would do built from parts and don't send in the Kitfox letter, but if you get someone at the FSDO to confirm this, it might save you some aggravation.

I just got the EAA guide and it gives a number for members to call if in my situation. I'm going to try the number to see what they say.

Built from parts with bills of sale that state misc aircraft parts. It will no longer be a kitfox on paper.