Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rebuilding Bing Carburetors

Default Rebuilding Bing Carburetors

Branching off the HKS thread - While waiting for the missing jet, rebuild kit and manuals from bingcarburetor.com I'm trying to educate myself with the process. There is a lot of info in motorcycle related sites. In case it helps somebody else, I found a nice pictorial here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9342625

Now, a question to this group - I received this email advice from the kit makers:
    "
    The CV Carburetor has an o'ring on the throttle shaft. The screws are peened; you will need to file the peened end flush before you back them out. You will need to re-peen the new screws, you can also put a little locktite on them but the factory recommends that they be peened also."

After looking up "peen" in a dictionary and searching again among the motorcycle crowd, there seems to be two schools of thought:
    (1) Screws must be peened to make sure they never get loose and are ingested by a cylinder.
    (2) Peening is what ancient people did in the dark ages BL. (Before Loctite) Red Loctite is all you need, specially in a low stress application like this.

I'll go with (1) for peace of mind but, did anybody ever loose a "Loctited" screw in a carb?

Roberto.

Last edited by rwaltman; 08-28-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Default Re: Rebuilding Bing Carburetors

Loctite is great stuff. Remember this: If you want to remove or adjust the screw later use blue. If you never want to adjust and never want to remove it use red.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    ...If you never want to adjust and never want to remove it use red [Loctite]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9zFgB8lTNM

Not that I would like to do that to a carburetor ...
    [But I read of people using less fiery techniques. Soldering irons, heat guns, etc.]

Roberto.

With the past few days experience not sure I would want to back the screws out of those throttle shafts. Just saying.
    Building a KF IV Classic