Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

Default KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

I did "the search" here but it did not turn up the discussion I hoped to find... so here I go...

BACKGROUND: Older KF Model IV-1200 kit... like 1993 vintage, unfinished. The dual brakes are as follows: Pilot's side, each brake is a master cylinder MATCO Part #MC-1 such that each has a small reservoir; Co-pilots side MATCO Part #MC-3 that do NOT have the reservoir option. The packing lists for the aircraft do NOT show a remote reservoir option. While all of the parts on the packing list such as the brake lines are accounted for, etc., there is NO installation instructions that I can find. Again, this supplied option does not appear by the packing list to have the remote reservoir.

The construction manual shows a dual brake option but it has a remotely mounted reservoir and does NOT show this type of factory-supplied brake cylinders.

QUESTIONS:
    a) Does anyone have a set of instructions that they could copy and post, or know of a website I can download them from that applies to this type of installation and equipment?

b) Does anyone have this type of setup without the remote reservoir? If you do, how has it worked?

c) Has anyone ever converted this NO-remote reservoir setup to one in which they have installed a remote reservoir?

d) Any helpful hints or experiences?

Thank you for taking a look at this post! All comments are welcome!

Default Re: KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

GWright6970,
    I can't answer your questions one by one but I would expect the plumbing would be from bottom port of each Pilot side MC-1 to top port of passenger side MC-3.
    As per diagram just the top port of pilot side is the reservoir of MC-1. The MC-1 & MC-3 are the older versions of the current models except with .5" Bore rather than .625. They will actually provide higher pressure than the current models.

Found this diagram on Matco website: http://static.veracart.com/matco/ite.../document1.pdf

Interesting. I have 1992 and 1923 manuals and both show the remote reservoir, yet I built both airplanes and neither had the remote reservoir in the kit. One thing that is important on the Matco PDF. Where it says that the rod has to be fully retractable, that is important as there was a history of incidents where on braking, if the passenger touched the brakes as well, it would lock up the brakes like a parking brake lever and the only way to release them was to crack the bleed port on the slave cylinder. Curious - have you thought about the passenger side brakes and why you want them. I never had them on my first Model IV nor will I have them on my new (older) Model IV. The only time I might have needed them was when the guy was preparing to check me out in the airplane and he realized he had no brakes. I had lots of tailwheel time and by taxiing around a bit, I was able to calm him down a bit.
    Lowell

Thank you all for responding! I am probably going to give this system without a reservoir a try. I guess I can always add a reservoir later.

I was also hoping to find out how it has worked for others.

Lowell, you make a good point about the need for a dual system. I kinda like the option as I do fly often with other pilots, a couple who are CFI's. So, it will keep them happy, I am sure! Loweel, I have downloaded and printed out all of the Service Letters and Bulletins, and marked those I need to pay attention to. I still appreciate your pointing out the special operating condition though... helps to cement it into the brain!

FoxDB... thanks for the research.... I appreciate that drawing, now it all makes sense! Thank you!

Talking Re: KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

Here is picture of my brakes, I have 198hrs on them no problum. I like dual brake, that way you can fly from the right or left side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grady,
    Thank you for your post and the picture... I'll set it that way also. Again, THANK YOU!
    Grover

Talking Re: KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

Glad to help if I can.
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Grady View Post
    Here is picture of my brakes, I have 198hrs on them no problum. I like dual brake, that way you can fly from the right or left side.
    Can you (or anyone) tell me where to buy parts to add brakes to the right side?

I have a Model III on amphib floats and am moving to tail wheel config.

P.L."Pete" Redmond

Smile Re: KF IV-1200 dual brake option w/o the remote reservoir

I got them from Kitfox. They had a kit just for dual brakes.