Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lycoming 0-235 C1B

Default Lycoming 0-235 C1B

Need some help for a very green shopper. I have an EAA Biplane with the 0-235C1B engine (1800 hrs). The plane was purchased for Marketing/Trade Show purposes. The wings have been removed, the plane trailered and displayed around the country for a couple of years. I now would like to obtain my sport pilot cert and sale the plane. My thoughts are that the biplane is way too much for a new pilot but would like to make a smart business move. Should I sell the plane w/engine or does it make sense to remove the engine and hold for a kitfox. The other question is which KF would it work best to be installed in.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Default Re: Lycoming 0-235 C1B

the o-235 is way too heavy for the Kitfox model 1,2,3 or 4. The model 5, 6, 7 and the latest model the 7 Super Sport could carry the extra weight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Personally at 1800 hours I would get rid of it and get something lighter and more modern...jsut me though.

I see good and not so good.

First the good. The Lycoming will give great performance with the increase in power to weight ratio. That extra 15 to 20 percent power is a big boost that can easily carry the extra weight. You already own the engine so your only looking at the cost of rebuild.

The not so good… you mention wanting to get a Sport Pilot license. That limits your aircraft to 1320 pounds which might create a problem with useful load in a Kitfox with a Lyc O-235. You will have nearly 80 pounds more empty weight and no increase in gross weight.

John Pitkin
    .Greenville, TX