Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri gear to tail wheel weight and balance

Default Tri gear to tail wheel weight and balance

Is there anyone that has done the conversion from tri gear to tail wheel that can tell me how it affected the weight and balance? I am currently sitting at 13.93 solo and 15 with a passneger. Will I have a more forward or aft C.G? I have a Series 7... I ordered the Matco 8" from Kitfox. It came with a 3 leaf spring set up. Looks super heavy duty. Do I really need all 3 springs or could I eliminate one and save some weight? I won't be flying on any rough stuff...

Default Re: Tri gear to tail wheel weight and balance

Bump to keep this question alive. I know John McBean has done the conversion back and forth so when he gets time to log in he may enlighten us on the CG.

The 3 leaf tail spring seems to be the answer to preserving your rudder from damage if the two spring system fails which I read frequently that they do.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by GoingHawgWyld View Post
    Is there anyone that has done the conversion from tri gear to tail wheel that can tell me how it affected the weight and balance? I am currently sitting at 13.93 solo and 15 with a passneger. Will I have a more forward or aft C.G? I have a Series 7... I ordered the Matco 8" from Kitfox. It came with a 3 leaf spring set up. Looks super heavy duty. Do I really need all 3 springs or could I eliminate one and save some weight? I won't be flying on any rough stuff...
    Yes get the 3 spring. There is quite a bit of weight on the tail of a series 7 and you don't want it to break!

I've had mine in both configs, however I don't have the trigear W&B in front of me, I'll have to dig it up. As a TG my empty moment is 11.53 and two up with baggage 15.17 with full fuel. I think it's slightly further aft than the tri gear.

These are my arms and weights, maybe you could plug them in with your values to compare.

EMPTY WEIGHT CG
    Weighing Point Wht. (Lbs.) Arm, (in.) Moment
    Left Main, (- tare) 387.00 -2.00 -774.00
    Right Main (- tare) 383.00 -2.00 -766.00
    Tail Wheel (+ tare) 67.00 167.00 11189.00
    Nose Wheel (-tare) 0.00 0.00 0.00
    TOTALS 837.00 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ 9649.00
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

I can't imagine removing a fairly heavy structure from the nose of an airplane and replacing it with a fairly heavy structure over 4 times the arm at the rear and not having significant changes to the W&B. For the sake of argument, take a twenty pound item at a + 36" arm and you will have a moment of +540 inch pounds Take the a ten pound weight and mount it thirteen feet or 156" aft of the datum and you have a negative moment of 1560 inch pounds. It has to move the CG aft unless the nose wheel assembly weighs about sixty pounds - as the tail wheel spring and wheel will be close to the ten pounds.
    Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    I can't imagine removing a fairly heavy structure from the nose of an airplane and replacing it with a fairly heavy structure over 4 times the arm at the rear and not having significant changes to the W&B.
    Keep in mind it's somewhat offset by moving the main gear forward as you are moving the gear, wheels and brakes as well.

but yes, I think it does move the cg aft a touch...

Would be better to have both before and after on the same plane with real numbers, then we would know.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Very Good point. Did some prelim numbers and the CG might actually move forward a bit, but just guessing on my part. Good call.

Lowell

Forget all of the calculations and work. Just go with this setup...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?d...4-570ba8a7b088

Much more versatile in my opinion.

That article doesn't mention the optional Middle-Of-Nowhere-Attach for the counterweight. (Still under development when the article was published.)

With the MONA add-on, you can avoid installing the trim crank, sliding rails, and both the nose and tail wheels, landing and taking off on the remaining four wheels in full baby stroller configuration.

Roberto.

Looks like converting over will move the C.G. aft somwhat. Guess I will find out next week when I do the conversion. I have a fresh W&B now so I can compare then and post the results... Thanks!

There are always other things that change... but for reasons of argument the CG moved slightly aft (.7)

Of course there are things like wheel pants, larger tires, different tail wheels etc... that will effect the overall change..
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"