Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Curious about Kitfox II problems

Default Curious about Kitfox II problems

I am considering buying a Kitfox II, I am curious if there are characteristics I should be concerned about. I read on the Kitfox website that there are some issues with neutral rudder control. Any input would be appreciated...

Default Re: Curious about Kitfox II problems

Ya, I had one. It had the worse adverse yaw I had every experienced. Also, the gear was narrow and easy to tip on the ground to boot.

For a few dollars more, you can get a model 4-1200, a much improved plane.

Roger

I've got 50 hours or more and over 100 take-offs and landings in my buddy's model 2 and my personal opinion is that it's the hardest airplane to fly well that I've ever flown. It doesn't handle like anything else I've flown. From the 1st flight I've been chasing that ball. Coordinated turns are not natural but it's made me a better pilot. It handles good on the ground though and lands slow but it will lift a wing pretty easily in a crosswind because of the narrow gear. The 4/1200 and up fly much better. James Thomas

Didn't fly a II but had lots of time in my III and I think it's pretty similar.

With the narrow gear you have to be on your game. I ground looped mine twice during training, once with the instructor with me. Once the tail swings out past a certain point you are just along for the ride.

As for the rudder coordination it feels very much like a Tayorcraft. I've flown both and they have a tendency to fly one wing low if your aren't watching. The Kitfox is worse in that regard. If you look down long to look at a chart the ball will be off center and one wing is low. I got used to it.

Another interesting thing is the landing flare. My 1st 50 landings I think I bounced a little every time. It has to do with the amount of elevator authority left at low speed. For me, the answer was to leave the flapperons off for 3-point landings, on for wheel landings. And forget about wheel landings until much, much later: this was my 2nd ground loop -> with the instructor. The higher landing speed just give more energy to bleed off. With this plane you don't go fast on the ground. Either take off or land and slow down quick. None of this high speed taxi crap. That was my 1st ground loop -> by myself.

All that being said, it is a blast to fly. Your feet learn what to do. The plane responds with light pressures, you feel like you could take off and land just about anywhere. Like anything its just practice.

FWIW,

Mark

Although I prefer and own a Model 4 I have flown hundreds of hour in mod 1,2 .

Nothing to be scared of. Model 2 does have adverse yaw but you canb over come with rudder for the most part.

Mod 2 with a 582 should weight 450 to 500 lbs -- GREAT performance.