Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop Pitch on floats?

Default Prop Pitch on floats?

Rookie at on float set up. I have a KF1 with a 582. Purchased it for the float set up. It came on wheels, floats dismantled. Former owner couldn't give(remember) me the set up positions he had used for float mounts. Through measuring, weight and balance calculations, and trial runs, it finally popped off the water in a short run. Now a couple of days later, its a no go. Altitude Density probably part to blame. The engine tach 5500 on take off run. It has been suggested to change pitch. I have a GSC 3 blade prop. It seemed to be close to wanting to step up and go but just not quite get there. Prior owner said he never changed pitch, but he operated at sea level, I am 1000 ft higher. Any suggestions on what pitch angle I maybe want to set the pitch?

Default Re: Prop Pitch on floats?

If the RPM gauge is an analog needle type, verify that your RPM reading is accurate using a Proptach or similar. The analog gauges are known for their inaccuracy at higher RPM readings.

Once you are sure you're getting the right readings, pitch the prop to get around 6300 RPM static for a 582.

Finally, keep an eye on the total weight. You'll probably be a single seater in a KF1 on floats.

-- Paul S
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

A lot of people have had good luck using the "Tiny-Tach". As Paul said the analog gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Either way, 5500 is way too low on full power. What kind of EGTs are you getting?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

It very well may turn out to be a one seater unless I loose enough poundage of my own. I didn't keep a close eye on egt, engine temp was close to 180.
    Any idea on how much pitch adjustments should be at a time for static run ups?

I had this same plane on home made zenair replicas when I owned it. I will try to post a picture on here. The floats were light but undersized for the plane. I did take passengers a few times but would have to pull in some flaps right at rotation to get it to pop out of the water. I sold it to the guy you bought it from with a pair of full lotus floats. What kind of floats do you have it mounted on now?

Cain B

I have put it on the Full Lotus floats that he sold me with the plane. He tols me it worked great one person and could do two on occaison. He dismantled the floats to transport to me. He gave me pictures of it on the floats. When you had it on floats did you change the GSC prop pitch any? It just seems to need a bit more punch to go.

I never changed the pitch when I owned it. When I sold the plane to the new owner he mentioned to me that he was going to buy a new GSC prop for it because he was concerned with the age of original one. It does sound like you need to adjust yours though if your only getting 5500 rpm.

I have a KF 111 on PJ amphibs. Prop is 68 inch GSC set to 17 degrees. Google up kitfox 582 floatplane and see a shot vid of my takeoff with this combo. Don