Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KF IV Tail Post

Default Re: KF IV Tail Post

Don't have a pic, but my plywood piece was above the tubing at the bottom which is why that junction is more like a bevel where the fabric goes from the edge of the plywood to below where the tubing forms a "V". Is your plywood rib/shaper below the tubing?

Mark,

Sorry about not getting back right away on the follow-up question (traveling or something); however, our plane is set up the same way Geowitz has his - bolts up through the bottom, nuts on top in the pocket area.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear (tailskid bolted up where tailwheel would be)
    912ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Don't have a pic, but my plywood piece was above the tubing at the bottom which is why that junction is more like a bevel where the fabric goes from the edge of the plywood to below where the tubing forms a "V". Is your plywood rib/shaper below the tubing?
    I see what is different now. We have 2 different fuselages. The fiberglass fairing attaches a little differently on the classic vs. your original speedster. I remember seeing the tabs on your VS tube that came back a little and then went out to make the attachments for the fiberglass fairing. On the classic I use aluminum brackets around the VS tube and the fiberglass fairing is glued directly to the VS tube. The steel bracket that holds my tail-spring is more forward whereas yours looks to be directly under the VS tube.

Looks like the answer is to do whatever is needed to make a large enough flat area on mine so that a washer and nut can fit. That way the bolt can go up. A little careful grinding and hammering should do the trick. Even then there won't be much room between the fabric and the top of that bracket. Maybe some glue and flox to make a hard fairing with "C" cutouts around the top of the bracket. I see some cussing whenever I have to work on it.

Thank you much,

Mark

Ahh, yes. I see what you are saying now. Yeah, my fairing is attached with welded on brackets to the VS tube and the plate must be farther back.

Did you see the ad I e-mailed you from barnstormers? Might be worth a call.

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    I see what is different now. We have 2 different fuselages. The fiberglass fairing attaches a little differently on the classic vs. your original speedster. I remember seeing the tabs on your VS tube that came back a little and then went out to make the attachments for the fiberglass fairing. On the classic I use aluminum brackets around the VS tube and the fiberglass fairing is glued directly to the VS tube. The steel bracket that holds my tail-spring is more forward whereas yours looks to be directly under the VS tube.

Looks like the answer is to do whatever is needed to make a large enough flat area on mine so that a washer and nut can fit. That way the bolt can go up. A little careful grinding and hammering should do the trick. Even then there won't be much room between the fabric and the top of that bracket. Maybe some glue and flox to make a hard fairing with "C" cutouts around the top of the bracket. I see some cussing whenever I have to work on it.

Thank you much,

Mark

Talking Re: KF IV Tail Post

Ahh, yes. I see what you are saying now. Yeah, my fairing is attached with welded on brackets to the VS tube and the plate must be farther back.

Did you see the ad I e-mailed you from barnstormers? Might be worth a call.
    I'm driving down to get them on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    I'm driving down to get them on Saturday.
    LOL Good for you

If you feel like seeing the 700T I'm right off of I-95 and will be around anytime after lunch.

LOL Good for you

If you feel like seeing the 700T I'm right off of I-95 and will be around anytime after lunch.
    Can try. PM me your cell phone and will see. I'll have to make and attach cradles to haul those wings back so don't know what my time table will be - usually running late. Would like to see your installation. At altitude that thing should haul.