Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Esser's Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Esser's Build

A note on this thread: Last year (2017) photobucket, the site I was using for third party hosting of my pictures quickly and with no warning decided to not host pictures unless I paid a $400 fee. Not liking their business tactics, I declined. After talking to the moderators, they have allowed me to go back into this thread and add my pictures in. The format will be different with all pictures showing up and the bottom of the post instead of between text. Because of this, things might not exactly make sense. I am also trying to match the picture with no reference to what was originally posted. I will do my best but there might still be slight inconsistencies. I hope you will still be able to use this thread as a resource. - Josh

Since I have been asking a lot of questions I thought I would start my own thread where people can follow along my progress and answer any questions I may have.

Sorry there are quite a few questions since I can't call anyone due to everyone being at Osh Kosh

My first question is that I am having trouble making things fit. The aileron bell crank was supposed to be installed with two washers in the inside of the bushing and one between the castle nut and the fuselage tab. I could not get the bell crank between the tabs with out switching to a 10L washer instead. And I could not thread the castle nut on enough to get the cotter pin in unless it was so tight the bell crank did not move freely. I took out the washer between the tab and the castle nut to get the cotter pin in with out the assembly being too tight. Is this OK?

I had similar issues with the elevator bell crank. Even with using thinner washers it is a tight fit and does not move freely even with out a nut on it. I tried filing some of the powder coat off to make it better but still no dice. Here is a video I took so you can see the bolt turning with the bell crank and how tight it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHg9h...ature=youtu.be

For the control column bracket, the plans called for a #30 drill and then for a 1/8th rivet to go in the hole. The problem is a #40 is 1/8th so the rivet would not fit unless I drilled up to the bigger size. I felt confident doing this do it being for control stops but is this type of typo something to expect? Or am I looking at it all wrong.

Here is a picture of the control column after being sanded for those who are interested.

Another question. In the instructions it told me to ream out the bell crank tabs to .1875 so I did but in the diagram it says tight fit .1865 but I had already reamed it to .1875. Is this OK?

I had to remove all the powder coat on the control sticks. I didn't know what to do for corrosion protection so I just greased them before sliding the other sticks on top.

Thanks in advance for all the answers. Hopefully soon I will have more progress pictures and less questions.

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-07-2018 at 04:51 PM.