Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Rudder pedal assembly and metal parts fab i.e. - flight control parts and assembly.

Dick B

Hey Dick, thanks for the response but I already have that stuff done. I still need to do the door fames but thats all epoxy. Maybe I'll buy the ELT and wire that stuff in.

given any thoughts to how the panel will be layed out ? I made the first one from lexan to check fit and function . the early model IV is a bit more of a challenge than the new models as there are frame members forward of the panel that limit where the long instruments can go . anyway at least with the lexan panel I had a plan before I started cutting metal .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I am currently working on some fairings and am using epoxy. I made up a curing oven from some Home Depot house insulation foam. I cut it to size and taped it together with regular packing tape. It is double thickness so I could overlap end joints for air tightness. All exposed foam edges are covered with the tape as it tends to flake off if abraded - and makes a mess. The top is hinged by cutting the top panel in half length wise and the hinge, once again is packing tape. I cut a round hole in the fixed part of the top and place a desk lamp over the hole so the heat from the light goes inside. It will get to about 90° tops so the fire hazard is very low. It will cure a batch of Hysol in about three or four hours and the glass epoxy in about six to eight depending on what I need to do next. Micro cures for sanding in about three hours.

It would probably take three sheets of the foam to make up an oven that would accommodate an elevator.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love it when a guy takes ordinary materials and creates something totally unexpected. Very Clever!!! Low cost and very useful. Way to go Lowell!

John

I like the idea of the curing box. I think all I have left though is mostly stuff that is actually attached to the fuselage.

I think I will work on the following things in the cold months:

Work on the extended baggage area, not sure if I want to go alum or birch ply yet.
    Sand the extrusion lines off the strut fairings.
    Order and install an ELT (Any suggestions on this would be appreciated, I tired to search ELT on the forum but it doesn't seem to look for three letter words)
    Also, can I work on installing the acrylic on the doors in the cold? Or do I need to wait for the doors to be on? Please let me know anything you can think of.

As for the panel, we have a plasma machine at work so I will probably trade the guy a flight in exchange for him cutting my panel. I am 99% sure I will be going with the MGL EFIS. Not sure if I am going to go with the touch screen or the tradition but I am leaning towards the traditional at this point.

Esser,
    Here's a link to a thread on mounting the ELT. The ARTEX 409 is mentioned here.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3293

And another...

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1880
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Well after a hiatus I am back at it. Didnt do too much today but organize my parts so that I still can't fin the part I'm looking for. Other than that I added my horz stab and elevator so that I can blend them when I add the foam tips.

I had to order more Hysol as mine froze so I am at a little bit of a stand still. When the hysol comes I will be installing the door frames. Maybe during the week I will install the rudder and swage the cables.

This isn't my permanent shop yet so I am not getting too comfortable here as I will be moving it all in 6 months. Maybe with more parts attached.

For the future, how do I torque this bolt and nut? I can fit my torque wrench and socket between the rib. Do I need to buy a crows foot set?

Glad I finally got a bit of an update.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Nice to see the update Esser. If you ever need to get some motivation just go fly with Paul @ Stick & Rudder. I did it last week and can't wait to get my kit done and fly it!

Scott

Hello everybody. After a whirlwind of a week with the wedding everything, I got back in the garage. I am still waiting on my Hysol as I had delayed shipment because I didn't want to be in Ontario when it was delivered and have it get sent back accidentally.

Either way I decided it was time to hit the door frames. I took a lot of pictures for those who are about to do this. I have realized there is no right or wrong way to do this. Just make sure everything fits nice and there is over lap for the rivets. In fact you will see that I did the one side different than the other and it turned out fine. I was just trying to simplify the process.

Got the door latches on. You need a .280 drill bit for this FYI. Also there are some washers that come with this kit. I put the nylon ones between moving parts but the metal ones I had no idea where they went so I left them out.

That's all folks. My only questions are, should I rivet the stringer to the door frame and epoxy?

In the door latch instructions it talks about a strike plate. No detail and no part number. Anybody have any idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 10:36 AM.