Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Nice work, makes me want to take my wing apart and put on the LLE.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Nice job!!
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Thanks for the pics Josh - the leading edge looks very nice. I'm glad we ordered them. The pics of your house and the river flying were great too! What plane was that you were in? Do those planes just stay out in the snow all winter? I cant believe that! Having worked in Antarctica for a year I have seen the damage that snow does to vehicles left outside.

Anyway, I would appreciate you slowing down for a couple of weeks while I catch up!!

cheers

ross

We were in a Cherokee 140. It's owned by the guy that flies with Natalie. Yeah, a lot of planes are left out side but they all have wing covers, cowl covers, cabin covers, and tail covers. Go out and brush off the snow once in a while. When you pull the wing covers off you have no ice to deal with. A lot of guys have a big rubbermaid container behind their plane where they store their covers while the fly. The covers are almost like tent fabric but heavier for the wings. And the engine cover is insulated so that your block heater can keep up. It was about -25C that day we went out.

But the majority of planes out here are hangared. But hangarage is stupid expensive around here. I know a guy paying $1200 a month for a heated spot for his DA40.

Hey, I have some momentum again, I'm not slowing down if I can help it. I will hit a bit of a wall when it comes covering time.

Here are a few pictures I took today:

Marking my cut line

Along the edge. That Aluminum piece need to be cut off so I can fit the tips.

Makin room

Key Lime, great template for the fuel tank.

Finished.

I can't epoxy them until I get a preclose inspection. I might be able to get away with it because you can see from the bottom but I don't want to risk it.

On one wing I trimmed the bottom a little too short so it doesnt fit under the fuel tank well. I will jsut have to use super fill to give it shape.

Pretty productive day. I finished tonight off with adding the wing tip mounting strips one the left wing.

There wasnt much room to drill into the aluminum so it's pretty tight on some edges. because its going to be slathered in epoxy I dont think it will be too big of a deal but I wish the #10 rib was offset like the butt rib to give you a bit more meat to play with.

Looking good!!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Esser... those pictres will be helpful when stating my own plane....

I spoked with John about a contruction video..... it sould easy the task!!??

Keep those photos comming through!!
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

OK Tip is on. Sort of. I think I am not going to drill the holes until the fabric is on or else the tip will move 1/32 of an inch. Or is this negligible?

Also, what have you other great kitfox builders done about the Leading edge and how it is raised up above the tip as seen in this picture?

Do you file it down on the rib? Or do you super fill the tip?

And lastly, I am trying to get everything to fit perfectly but when you are filing to finish by hand it is never a perfectly even line. Will I go insane if I try to get this to fit better than this? It bugs me but will I even notice when the plane is done?

Josh, The Fabric, Finish tape, shrinking and Paint will change the edge of the rib quite a bit. I think you could get away with your final wing tip trim after painting the wing.

Scott

scott is correct . in fact it takes some work to get the fabric to stick down making the sharp bend at the edge of the rib cap
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa