Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Nice work Esser! Thanks for all the comments. I'm just about to the cover stage on my wings & will start my fuselage in December. Your pictures are very useful.

Thanks
    Scott

Well we made it to Edmonton. I really miss working on the plane since I havent touched it in about two months.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Esser,
    Glad you made it without any trouble.

I'm looking for rental truck/packing advice. I'm planning on flying into Boise next month to bring my kit home. Besides the 24' truck, how many blankets and how much rope or straps do you recommend that I get? I have the quick build wings along with pretty much all of the other options.

Also, I'm going to be going to western Washington if anyone along the way needs something picked up for them. I'll be happy to work something out.

Kebo

I rented a 26' "easy ride" U-Haul to transport my project from upstate New York to Wisconsin. I can maybe offer some advise.

1. Though they say easy ride, they definitely are NOT with only 5-600 pounds in them! I would have gladly put 500-1000 lb of sand bags in back to save my back.
    2. Get as many packing blankets as you can find. They work well to cushion everything.
    3. Buy/bring a ton of ratchet straps to secure things.
    4. Save your fuel money and get diesel truck if you can, my gas truck got about 5 mpg even though it was mostly empty...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

On the advice of the factory, we rented a 16" Budget box van. The floor is flat, no wheel wells. We rented two dozen blankets from the budget store. We also carried a suitcase stuffed with a bunch of foam from old sofa cushions. Around here the roofers use them in the hot summer to sit on while roofing. We also carried along all the straps and rope we could scrounge.

Pictures here:
    http://www.rickscafe.us/saw/htmls/it%20begins.htm

Good luck!
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Thanks. I hadn't realize it would fit in a 16' box truck.
    Kebo

The nice thing about the Uhaul is that the wings fit really perfect on the walls.

But unfortunately uhual doesn't have diesels. Too many people put gas in I guess. I drove 2000 miles and spent $1000 in gas.

The uhaul does ride way better with more stuff in it. And it really likes to get stuck in the snow empty. Don't ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Kebo... can you make a "minor" detour on the way, and drop me off some Hysol in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by kebopa3 View Post
    Esser,
    Glad you made it without any trouble.

I'm looking for rental truck/packing advice. I'm planning on flying into Boise next month to bring my kit home. Besides the 24' truck, how many blankets and how much rope or straps do you recommend that I get? I have the quick build wings along with pretty much all of the other options.

Also, I'm going to be going to western Washington if anyone along the way needs something picked up for them. I'll be happy to work something out.

Kebo
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Wink Re: Esser's Build

John,
    Be happy to drop that off for you; as long as you are not not in a hurry and can wait until July. I'm sure I'll be spending sometime in the Denver area a little later this year.

Esser,
    I'm hoping the mountain passes and roads will be clear. If there is any question, I'll take AV8r3400 advice about the packing a load of sand home as well. But at the end of the day, I'm always up for an adventure. Which is why I'm building rather than buying.

Kebo

Hello everyone, it's been a while with no progress on the plane due to my living situation. I have access to a garage that has no heat and is not insulated though and my question is what work could I do for two months that doesn't require any structural epoxy or heat to cure things in. Any ideas?