Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Sounds good JF

I damaged my aluminum angle that came with the kit for the forward bulkhead. I can't find angle that small on aircraft spruce. Do i need to order a sheet and make my own? Or does anyone know where I can get angle that is .016 thick?

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I damaged my aluminum angle that came with the kit for the forward bulkhead. I can't find angle that small on aircraft spruce. Do i need to order a sheet and make my own? Or does anyone know where I can get angle that is .016 thick?
    It's not extruded or "pre-made" angle Esser... it's bent up from flat sheet stock. Unlikely to find it from a supplier. You can make your own or order what you need from John & Debra.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Can anyone tell me the part number for this T3 .016? I am going to order it from kitfox but I don't have my manual with me at work which is 4000km from where my manual is. Thanks

Hello everybody. After a stint at work I am back in the shop with Natalie. My good friend Dustin, how has been living in England for the last year, came over to see the plane and give us a hand.

I started fitting up the fairing for the vert stab post. I had to do a lot of sanding of the ribs to get everything to fit nice. When every thing looked pretty good I whipped up a batch of hysol and put a nice bead on the post to bond the fairing to. I had it tight against the post everywhere but one spot, i didnt notice where the hole I cut for rudder hinge wasnt quite big enough and the fairing sat on a weld in that spot. A couple of C clamps fixed that.

Mean while, Natalie was cutting stiffeners for the elevator ribs. After the fairing was in, we hysoled the stiffeners in place. Then we decided to put the fairing on the rudder. Instead of a dremel to sand the ribs on the rudder like I did with the vert stab, I used a file. I think it did a nicer and really didnt take much more time.

I cut out the hinge holes in the rudder fairing but I think I went too big as where I though the hinges where were about 1/2 inch off. I am hoping this wont show.

Does anybody have pictures of the slots they cut in their rudder fairing for bolt access? I would appreciate it.

Dustin test fitting the fairing.

Natalie sanding the elevator ribs.

Rudder fairing fit and epoxied.

Another visitor pops by

Tail post fairing in place and curing

Today we are going to hysol the elevator ribs in and maybe start on the door frames. Even though I don't have much time to work on the plane I feel that things are moving along fairly nicely. I would guess that the fuselage is 50% done. I don't know how that translates into how much the entire kit is done but it is progress. I would guess 10% maybe?

In other news I took a new job in Edmonton starting January 10 so I have to move my life and my plane 4000KM. I should have more free time to work on the plane when I get there. So if anyone in the Edmonton area want to give me some insight on good airports or who just maybe wants to come look at my project let me know. And if anyone has any contacts in the corporate charter industry in Edmonton please let me know as Natalie has to leave her good job as a Conquest II Captain to follow me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Yesterday we epoxied all the ribs into the elevator with good success. epoxying ribs is a much nicer job with two people.

After that we put the side stringers on. We were going to put on the horz stab on for the first time but before we bolted anything we decided to wait til the elevator was cured.

Preparing to bond

Natalie riveting the side stringers in after hysol and microballoons

My friend Adam stopped by. He is building an RV8

I will probably put the bottom stringer on today and maybe start on the door frame.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Keep the photos and commentary coming. I'm scheduled to take delivery of my kit in Feb. Waiting is hard but watching your build and the others has helped minimize the agony, as well as being educational.

Kebo

I bought my Kitfox already built but this is a neat build string to follow, lots of info i would like to know but never had the cance to see it done, keep the info coming......
    Gary
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Josh!!! You dont know what these photo do to me, I follow your progress step by step and it's fun...

For my part the dream coming one step at the time!!! finishing my flying course and bilding my garage..... the fondation is done!

I will have a 24'x32' floor to work my project and the ceiling will be cathedrale to store the kitfox up in the air when it's finish!!

Very Nice JF. You have a lot of projects on the go.

Today was a frustrating day. I have a lot of parts to order from the Mcbean's. I cut my door angles too short. For anyone who is about to do the door frames, the instructions arent super clear. Study the pictures in John Mcbean's photo album that is on this website. I will save you a fair bit of head scratching. Once you get the idea it is fairly straight forward. Unfortunately for me I did not follow my own advice.

I started off today by installing my bottom stringer. Straight forward install. My advice for anyone about to do this is have your wire on the stringer and cross tube loosely put still twisted up. Once you put your epoxy on the stringer, tighten the wire.

After that I worked on the horz stab bushings for the elevator that I had been neglecting. They required A LOT of OD reduction even to have a super tight press fit. Chucked on a drill with 120 and then 500 grit sand paper brought them down fairly quickly.

I played around with the rudder fairing and trimmed up some holes. The hinges arent contacting anywhere any more. I am not looking forward to rigging that up with bolts at final install. Not an easy location.

Stringer with wire. I had to cut this off because I forgot the Hysol in between

The instructions call for drilling through the side of this but I couldnt even get my angle drill in there so I decided since its hysoled I would go through the top.

Side stringer after epoxy cured.

If your door angle looks like this you need to order a new one. It should be cut in such a way it reaches all the way to the frame.

Rudder fairing trial fitting

Im flying back to work tomorrow so that is all I got done for this week. Keep the commetns coming
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.