Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a Kitfox

Default Re: Shipping a Kitfox

I used Partain. The shipment arrived when they said it would. Everything was padded and protected. Dollars out of pocket are close to what you can do it yourself without losing several days travel time. You also avoid crating costs as Partain pads and straps it all down inside their vans. Once your plane goes in the van it stays there until you take delivery. No cross dock loading and unloading.

The only negative is waiting for them to have a load coming to your area so you might have to wait a few weeks. It's certainly worth the wait in my book.

Unless you really want to make the road trip, Partain makes it easy and economical. They also deliver to residential areas with no loading dock required. Their Gooseneck trailers can get in some amazingly tight spaces.

Contact Info:
    Tony Partain
    Partain Trading Company
    Telephone: 541-330-0828

Here's a pic of one of their rigs as posted on Barnstormers.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the delivery Farmboy, how's it look sitting on your grass strip?

Fooey

Fooey sorry to say she is still sitting wingless and no tail at KFXY. Monday we are going to put the wings on and see how far we get with everything else. The series IV is going to your backdoor to KLRJ, maybe you can stop in there and do some wheeling and dealing take care.

Really, Tommy must have bought it. Good luck on the wings and everything else. I am green with envy. lol

Wow, that is a tragic story! For all parties involved.

My heart goes out all those folks.

I lived through the bankruptcy of Skystar and lost a ton of money ( along with many others)

This story as well as the bankruptcy is just another indication that we all need to do our due diligence.

We shouldn't just take things like business deals for granted because they have been recommended to us or others have used them without any problems. Business deals and companies do go bad from time to time and we are left in very diffcult financial straights.

I hope these folks make it through these very tough issues.

I'm very sorry about the death of the persons involved in this story. May God have mercy on their souls.

And I'm sorry about the $$$ loss that your friend suffered.

Unfortunately, we are sometims victims of circumstances such as these. I'm dealing with a similar situation with regards to insurance coverage. I'm not sure where the answer lies, but I guess the lesson to be learned is that we have to take whatever steps necessary to protect our interests. Seems the problem is we often don't consider the "what if's" in these circumstances. And that is something we pilots should do a better job at. Often, money/time influences out decisions.

That is certainly not KF building related, but I am sad for the losses for all parties involved.
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 10-30-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

My Kitfox left the factory fully insured. I purchased a policy before shipment for transport and construction. I covers the airplane for everything from fire to flood to theft, but not for flight. If the transport truck had crashed my claim would be with my insurance underwriter and not the freight hauler. My insurance company could then go after the carrier, but that's their problem. When I get ready to fly, I will purchase a regular policy.

Construction insurance is cheap. I recommend everyone have a policy. If you have a fire in your shop your homeowner's policy will pay for the shop but not the plane. There are limits on what the insurance companies will pay on contents and personal property and a plane is way outside those limits.

John

We were brought up to date on this tragedy at the Copperstate
    Flyin last weekend. The Kitfox in the trailer belonged to Bob
    Meyer, a hangar neighbor of mine. After the event Debra and
    John made the decision to pull the next kit in line and ship it to
    Arizona in a twenty foot trailer. Stan (one of the TIG welders)
    volunteered to spend the weekend in his pickup doing the 1700
    mile trip. Debra said they were aware of the potential problems
    but just thought it was the right thing to do. It appears they
    are taking the hit on this.

Phil

Well done is better than well said (BENJAMIN FRANKLIN).

I'm quite happy to be waiting another week or so to take delivery of my kit. I made my purchase largely because of the great things I read on the forum. I like the fact that the McBean's recognize the game is not about a single sale. That's short-term thinking. It's about winning the hearts and minds of customers, so they'll continue to support your business, preferably forever. That's not something you can achieve by price and product quality alone.

Kebo

Builder's insurance is cheap. I just switched to a policy with Falcon for $30k. It's $250/yr. Covers fire theft, flood and transport for 30 miles. For the long distance shipping you need cargo insurance. I used my homeowner's agent to get "marine" cargo insurance. The cost was about one percent or $220 to cover shipping from ID to TX. I think the underwriter was Accord. Check with your agent. Falcon does not write policies for shipping only.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    John,

What company did you use for supplemental insurance? I'd like to give them a phone call before I ship my panel.

Thanks,
    Phil