Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank sloshing done.

Default Fuel tank sloshing done.

Just want to remind anyone who hasn't done so; SLOSH YOUR TANKS. One place I saw slosh three times and another was slosh until clear. One tank took 4 qts of acetone and the other took 5 qts before they drained clear. And then I did one more qt each for good measure. I figure that is good insurance for piece of mind. The first slosh on each tank probably drained what looked to be about one tablespoon of debris. The second about 1/4 teaspoon and then a few particles until I saw no more. Don't slosh, you will be set up for an inflight engine failure. It only took me an hour and twenty six minutes to slosh.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Fuel tank sloshing done.

John McBean has an alert that tells you how to slosh the tanks. I had run Unleaded Ethanol auto fuel about 3 tanks then it started gumming up. The sliders in the Carbs would stick, and the engine would not idle properly. I did a gallon of Acetone and a gallon of gas the first time to make sure it had enough to "Slosh" the tank walls and top. I then cut to 1/2 Gallon of Acetone and 1/2 Gallon of Gas. I sloshed each tank six times. After sloshing it I could never get it to run very well. I had flow from Mesquite Texas, to Wyers Cave VA to take a Rotax repair Maintenance and Repair class. When I got there I took one of the Carbs off and removed the float bowl, we found that it was full of a light brown sludge. We sent the Carbs of to be rebuilt, after which I was able to get the carbs to balance and the Idle where it needed to be.

I have a couple of postings if you you look under my postings that talks about what I did. It took me more than 1 1/2 hours
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I counseled my friend to buy and use a full gallon of acetone per tank in several sloshings. I think he did 5 or 6 per tank to be sure.

He then saved the used slosh to clean brushes from house painting.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

By "sloshings", you mean cleaning and not to use a sloshing type sealant or something like that, yes?

Roger

Correct, Roger. A more accurate word maybe "rinsing" of new tanks.

(Rinsing debris out of the new tanks by sloshing acetone around in them. )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Acetone is good for all type of fiberglass gas tank????

I'm going to put this out. I was told by John that using auto fuel with E10 works very well. I did this. Yes if there is a problem with the tanks, brown yuk will come out, this is ok, this is what the sloshing is suppose to take care of, the coating on the inside of the tanks that need to come off. Once this coating is off you are set to go and can use E10 fuel from than on. Also for a check, you stick your fingers inside the tank and swipe the inside when fueling, if it's sticky inside you have a problem. My tanks are perfect and NO sticky when I refuel.

Since I am flying N703KA, I kind of disagree with this. John McBean had flown the plane for 150 hours, and at the time I had the Brown Sticky Problem, I had flown it about a total of 50 hours when I encountered the contamination problem. I would recommend avoiding using E10 Fuel. I used two or three half tanks of E10, and I got to slosh the tanks, and rebuild both Carbs, because of a sticky substance! Sloshing the tanks at $16 per gallon of Acetone, plus $4 for AV Gas, 50/50 Mix plus the $250 or $300 to rebuild the Carbs, plus the A&P Cost (Since mine is a SLSA), I can buy a lot of Av Gas for the $500 to $600 for repairs, plus room and food cost for the week.

Thank goodness I was staying in a Dorm at $30 per night. Not withstanding the down time, and personal agrivation of being stuck in Weyers Cave Virginia for a Week. I do not believe it is worth the fuel savings, for the personal aggrivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I'm going to put this out. I was told by John that using auto fuel with E10 works very well. I did this. Yes if there is a problem with the tanks, brown yuk will come out, this is ok, this is what the sloshing is suppose to take care of, the coating on the inside of the tanks that need to come off. Once this coating is off you are set to go and can use E10 fuel from than on. Also for a check, you stick your fingers inside the tank and swipe the inside when fueling, if it's sticky inside you have a problem. My tanks are perfect and NO sticky when I refuel.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

just going by what John told me and my experience. I've put over 200 hrs on a new tank and use 91E10 100% of the time with no problems. Oh and still no sticky in the tank opening.

I was under the impression that the new tanks were ethanol resistant. Is this not the case?