Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank sloshing done.

Default Re: Fuel tank sloshing done.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I was under the impression that the new tanks were ethanol resistant. Is this not the case?
    They are supposed to be. However, I would guess what is mostly coming out during sloshing is a mold release agent used in the layup process.

Edit: Or a surface hardening agent... or unhardened epoxy on the surface?
    Last edited by Geowitz; 07-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Since I am flying N703KA, I kind of disagree with this. John McBean had flown the plane for 150 hours, and at the time I had the Brown Sticky Problem, I had flown it about a total of 50 hours when I encountered the contamination problem. I would recommend avoiding using E10 Fuel. I used two or three half tanks of E10, and I got to slosh the tanks, and rebuild both Carbs, because of a sticky substance! Sloshing the tanks at $16 per gallon of Acetone, plus $4 for AV Gas, 50/50 Mix plus the $250 or $300 to rebuild the Carbs, plus the A&P Cost (Since mine is a SLSA), I can buy a lot of Av Gas for the $500 to $600 for repairs, plus room and food cost for the week.

Thank goodness I was staying in a Dorm at $30 per night. Not withstanding the down time, and personal agrivation of being stuck in Weyers Cave Virginia for a Week. I do not believe it is worth the fuel savings, for the personal aggrivation!
    I don't think your experience contradicts Slyfox's point. It seems that the regular gas/10% ethanol removes a film from the tank(possibly a mold release agent, surface hardening agent, unhardened eopxy?) that acetone or avgas does not. That's why you had the problem when you added E10. Obviously it is a solvent for something in the tank, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's attacking the fiberglass/epoxy structure. I would bet you don't have the brown sticky problem again with E10 or if you did it would be minimal and eventually disappear.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 07-12-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Sure you can use ethanol, but be prepaired you may have a brown sticky build up in your carbs. It make it a little difficult to land with the carbs stuck open! I am just trying to address the SAFETY issue. I really don't like having to kill the engine and doing a dead stick landing to get it safely on the ground!
    Last edited by Paul Z; 07-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Sure you can use ethanol, but be prepaired you may have a brown sticky build up in your carbs. It make it a little difficult to land with the carbs stuck open! I am just trying to address the SAFETY issue. I really don't like having to kill the engine and doing a dead stick landing to get it safely on the ground!
    Chill out, not trying to be snippy with you. Just trying to brainstorm for actual answers to the complications. Screaming "SAFETY" is really a straw man argument at this point as the argument isn't about safety - I'm not advocating that anyone be unsafe. There have been plenty of people without problems. Not to say that there isn't a problem, but I'm still pretty curious as to why such a range of opinions.

All I know is I recieved from John the bulletin to slosh my tanks, mainly because I bought a brand new one from him in the last couple years. Yes, I called him and the sloshing is to remove the lay up layer. I think he mentioned acetone works for this reason. I asked him if E10 could be used for I did this when I got the tank. He said it would do the same thing. I than just went on with life as usuall, as well as started checking inside the tank when refueling to see if the tank was, as you might call it, coming apart. I have no ill feeling on using E10 and at this point never will. I do suggest a person test your fuel, many times I come up with 5% alki, but sometimes 10% for me.

Paul, I can understand your stand, you had a terrible happening, one I wouldn't want to go through. It's possible that your tanks are set up now for E10, maybe not, maybe there is something terribly wrong with your tanks, I can't advise you on that. I just know mine are just fine and will continue to use E10.

I would like to add. If I was doing an airplane and sloshed my tanks with what ever you were using and was having a plan to use E10. I would put in E10 for a test and let set in the tanks to see if a problem comes up with such fuel in the tanks.

I get it keep my mouth shut!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I don't think you need to.

What about just sealing the old (non alcohol resistant) tanks with this stuff that aircraft spruce sells:

This is impervious to all fuel types. Over 2,000,000 sold to date. It is the best way to repair and restore your fuel tank. Simple application, includes extensive application information and product information sheet. Will seal pinhole leaks and prevent rusting. 1 Pint will seal a 10-12 gallon tank. Good for all fuel types. Works well with all metal and fiberglass tanks.

Note: For Experimental Aircraft Only!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I would like to add. If I was doing an airplane and sloshed my tanks with what ever you were using and was having a plan to use E10. I would put in E10 for a test and let set in the tanks to see if a problem comes up with such fuel in the tanks.
    Agree 100%. There seems to be such a wide experience range on this issue that testing is absolutely necessary for each individual situation. It's really not accurate to proclaim that everyone should avoid it.

Paul - So did you land doing 85 knots with the engine running or did you dead stick it?
    Last edited by Geowitz; 07-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.