Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fox.........

Default Re: Carbon Fox.........

I asked Brian (windsurf board builder who is helping with the CF) about the UV issue, and his reply was that the resin/epoxy that he is using is made for high UV exposure. I have seen many of his boards that were build using the same method, which have many seasons of use/abuse, and they all look great as far as the resin is concerned.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

Any price on the carbon kit yet John? Or availability dates?

Yeah John, what's the word??
    Dustin

Getting there, slowly but surely!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dustin

Purrrrrdy!
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I am REALLY glad to see some carbon nuts here, I am one as well. Those that don't get it, well they REALLY don't get it. I started by covering a gas tank fairing that did not get used and it has been down hill from there. Did a matte carbon instrument panel, that I can't use, so I will make another. I am planning on doing lift strut fairing because the McB ones strike me as too heavy and I think I can get them down to about .5 lb a piece. I will be making new wing tips when I get home, and I have a plan for the floors but that is Top Secret 'til I work out those details. Still going to make new gas cap fairings, a very thin center console, and maybe brake pedals. I love carbon. Haven't even started toying with the cowls or seat pans yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see some really serious effort here. Nice Work and from my experience not just a little work. I agree the lift strut fairings are one area that needs to go on a serious diet. .5 lbs? Without a doubt, that would be a winner. Mine are about 4 lbs total - .010" aluminum with urethane foam core.
    Lowell

I was actually very surprised how much weight the instrument panel saved. That carbon panel is 19 oz lighter then the kit supplied one.

After talking with a friend who does Carbon Fibre mods to his Giles I thought I should pass on some of his advice. He says in the event of the accident the carbon fibre can splinter and turn into a bunch of flying knives. For added safety in his layups he applies one layer of Aramid which is pretty much Kevlar. Something to think about.

Our drone helicopter company makes frames, plates and tail pieces out of 100% carbon fiber. We have drop tested them from 75 ft onto concrete and asphalt several times , and have never broken a single piece of carbon. These ships weigh about 35 lbs and when the motors are turned off, drop like a rock! Me thinks there is a big difference in how the carbon fiber is laid up.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos