Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fox.........

Default Re: Carbon Fox.........

@ ackselle - We are currently working on a CF center console & panel. A seat pan, cowlings, rib closeouts, glare shield, & fuselage stringers are all on the "to-do" list.

@ ClickClickBoom - We HAVE discussed the possibility of putting out a CF kit for the SS7, all depending on how this plane is received with the new components. Any and all ideas, thoughts, and pointers are greatly appreciated!

@ jrevens - Thank you for the heads up on the potential corrosion issue. The floorboards all have an epoxy resin coating which should prevent any corrosion between them and the side panels. We will also be brushing and clear coating the side panels, further protecting them.

Thanks SSFoxBuilder..... keep us posted!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Or you could just get one from the factory.....

We haven't announce yet for a variety of reasons.....

Yes the seat has been done and needs to be load tested... and wing tips and instrument panel, glare shield, NACA duct.... and more....

and yes.. there is a weight savings on both the airplane and the wallet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Not to burst your carbon fiber bubble but I flew a beautiful new Kitfox with an all carbon cowlings, seat pan, baggage area, center console and instrument panel too, over a year ago. The all carbon fiber cowlings were actually developed and tested at Kitfox "South" here in Phoenix over 2 years ago. I can attest that they are incredibly light weight and very very nice. The whole idea of all of this was to build an incredibly light Kitfox and all those goals were met and exceeded.
    All carbon fiber doors were also done several years ago on a model 4 Rotec radial Kitfox here in Phoenix.

We HAVE discussed the possibility of putting out a CF kit for the SS7, all depending on how this plane is received with the new components
    This had already been developed by the factory. In fact I've just got the OK from John and Phil to let the carbon cat out of the bag and say that a brand new S-LSA factory built Kitfox, the first with all carbon cowlings, will be delivered very soon to its new owner.

P.S. John types faster than I do so he beat me to the news.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That cowl looks SWEEEET! I didn't think we were breaking new ground with our CF parts, I had just never seen or heard of anybody doing it. Regardless, it's a great way to keep the advancement of the Kitfox moving forward!

@ John - Can't wait to see what the factory puts on the market!

Any estimate as to the total weight savings?

I havent even done the inventory on my kit and I already am out of date...such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    Or you could just get one from the factory.....

We haven't announce yet for a variety of reasons.....

Yes the seat has been done and needs to be load tested... and wing tips and instrument panel, glare shield, NACA duct.... and more....
    John,
    I obviously would prefer to give you guys the cash, eta on announcing details on the parts?
    eric

All trimmed up and fitted!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are probably aware that the epoxy used in many carbon fiber products degrades very quickly when exposed to UV light. Furthermore, the plastics used in the kitfox windows block very little UV. Are you planning to carpet over them?