Woe is me. I received my BendixKing Av8or today - don't ask why I didn't go Garmin - and nothing but problems. The sticker sealing the lid says log onto bendixking.com/aviator/welcome I do that and get an error message telling me there is no such site. Oh Well, I log onto Bendix King and am immediately connected with Honeywell. Careful here guys. This is a mega corp with very few consumer items in their inventory - most of their customers are other mega corps, government agencies, military organizations and I suppose the CIA. The first thing I have to do is establish an account. And to simply update my software and database, I need a user account that the KGB can't crack. This could be fun having an account in a super secret organizion. I use my typical everyday username - fine. Then I use my typical everyday secure password - not fine because they require alph, num and non alph/num. I add a non alph/num character and it accepts it. Now, I have to write it down or I will never remember it - so much for a secure password. I complete the form and submit it. Fine so far. I wait for the email to come with instructions to complete the registration. I click on the link and all they need is for me to type in my new forgettable password. I type it in click done and voila, I get a notice that the registration has been rejected and I am to contact the administrator. No link to an administrator or any other help link. I go back to the last page before the registration page and search for help links - nothing regarding registration errors so call the phone number listed. I get the usual menu items, except they are not very usual - more like what you would find if you were the CIA needing help with some top secret mega bucks item. I finally just put any random number and get a person. Very nice, but all she could tell me is that the phone number for the Av8or was changed four weeks ago and that when connected go to menu item 3 and offers to connect me. Here I get marble mouth giving me options. I don't hear that well, so maybe my wife can help. She calls the number and makes a face like a person who's mouth is full of marbles, but recognizes enough that I will need option 2 THEN 3. OK. I go there and am connected with a guy that probably knows everything there is to know about the GPS, but is unable to help with the registration issue. I call Aircraft Spruce and tell them that I will be returning the unit if I can't resolve the issue - what good is a GPS who's software version and database is already out of date with no apparent way to update it.

Ok calm down. Let's try this again. I try another registrationin using the same username but another version of the password - you guessed it, my username is now owned by them and I am unable to use it again. I modify it just enough and they accept it. I type in the new new password twice plus the three security questions plus the answers to each twice again and push send. I get the note that I will find an email with instruction on how to proceed. They want my new twice forgettable password. I type it in again and presto, the registration has been denied and now they own two of my user names and I still have a Bendix King Av8or GPS that is of no use to me. Tomorrow I won't have it bothering me anymore as Aircraft Spruce will re-assume ownership of presumably a very fine piece of equipment that has no real value.

May the customers beware.
Lowell