Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Lithium Battery

Default New Lithium Battery

I just ordered my FWF kit and upgraded to the new lithium battery John talked about several months ago; 10 lbs lighter, more amp hours, more cranking power. But now I am having second thoughts for the following reasons:
    • I have read about the fire danger of these types of batteries in crashes and in case of improper charging (mostly associated with RC model airplanes).
    • I also believe it takes a special (read expensive) battery charger although I am confused about this because apparently the same charging circuit on the aircraft works for both the standard gel cells and this new lithium battery.
    Does anyone have any opinions on this? The lithium battery for full size aircraft is fairly new, so there is not much history out there. As John says, what an easy way to save 10 lbs when you struggle for ounces in other areas.

Jim

Default Re: New Lithium Battery

Jim;
    Ya you hear about the terrible fires that those batteries have caused in laptop computers and have to wonder if they have a place in an airplane. Unlike a fuel fire, you can't just shut off the flow and burn the rest out through the carb, that battery fire will just keep going until its drained of power and by then what else has caught on fire? Though, I did hear of one guy that burned his plane down just by sorting across the battery terminals with some metalized sound proofing material, so some risk goes with all batteries I guess (wind turbine option, injectable battery pack???).

I have heard some good things about the new dry cell technology, my auto mechanic really loves them, though they are pricy. Probably fair better in a crass too.

I think you may be mixing technologies, I belive the batteries in question are quite stable.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Maybe you're right Dorsal, all I know is that lithium-polymer and lithium-ion batteries can be very unstable if not handled correctly. I know of folks in my RC club who have had their pickup trucks burned because of battery fires.
    Does anyone know for sure whether these lithium aircraft batteries are the same or different technology?

Jim

Make a fireproof battery holder.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

They are LiPo4 which is a new stable Lithium technology. I used one on an electric bike I built. The key is that the special charging technology is included in the battery so they work just like a normal battery.

"The Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry of these batteries are non- hazardous, non flammable and non corrosive. Extremely small self discharge , no memory like NiCd, and can be serviced / refurbished if ever."

Check out this site for more details about it.

http://www.aerolithium.com/
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Thanks Andy, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Jim

Andy, thanks for the post... have not had a chance to respond but your link pretty much explains it.

One item left out.. (or didn't see) unlike a conventional battery, lithium cells needs to be kept balanced.. and the more use there is the more likely an imbalance can occur. Which is why a balance charger should be used occasionally with high battery usage. We also have the chargers available $79.99.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I purchased the lithium battery John sells this past winter and love it! The small size and weight savings are amazing. Seems to crank the 914 faster than the PC680 did. The balance charger is very fast requiring only 15- 20 minutes for a full charge.