Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just gettin started..how to ream stab bushings

Default Re: Just gettin started..how to ream stab bushings

Insert the reamer shank though the hole and ream the hole while pulling it through instead of starting it on the fluke ends like you would a drill bit. This will aid in keeping things aligned.
    John correctly stated that you should ream by pulling the reamer through the hole instead of "drilling" it with the reamer. Does a better job and much less chance of breaking the brittle reamers. This just may not be possible in all instances when working on the Kitfox but should be used whenever able.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Been watching, but now have to ask a question. Are you guys using chucking reamers or hand reamers. chucking reamears are designed for drill presses and lathes. They typically have straight flutes and a very short 45° cutting edge. As John suggests, if they are not inserted strictly parallel to the drilled hole, they can seriously score the interior of the drilled hole or tube. Hand reamers, on the other hand are slightly tapered and will self center and should be inserted from the free end rather from the shank end. In my two Model IVs the hand reamers were recommended and one benefit is that in certain pivot areas - the flaperon controll bell crank under the seat comes to mind - you can ream the tab holes slightly for a tight bolt fit and the bell crank hole fully for a close but loose fit, then you get a pivot where the bolt won't rotate because of its tight fit on the tabs. Hand reamers are also square cut on the butt end to fit in a handle or 12 pt. socket.

Does the tool kit from the factory come with chucking reamers or hand reamers. In my opinion, since most reamed holes in the kit are done by hand, hand reamers would be much preferred. The reason I ask is the pics look like chucking reamers.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 09-07-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Mine came with hand reamers

My Kitfox tool kit came with chucking type reamers.

I agree, pulling them thru if possible is much preferred to pushing.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    My Kitfox tool kit came with chucking type reamers.
    Don't understand this. From my perspective, the wrong tool. As was mentioned, the shank is straight round and requires some modification to attach some sort of handle unless the holes to be reamed can accommodate a drill motor attachment, then you have the alignment issue - so much easier with hand reamers.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images