Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 C Gearbox Oil Seal

Default 582 C Gearbox Oil Seal

I've now got about 10 Phase I flight hours on my new/old greyhead 582. It has one of the original C gearboxes. Apparently Rotax made an early design change to the spider and propeller shaft seal but mine was not updated.

My seal is leaking gear oil (about 5-10 CC/hr). My local Rotax service center told me it would likely leak a bit for the first 15 hours but then tighten up. I'm dubious. In any case, I was told the original seal is no longer available from Rotax. Does anyone have information on a part number or where I might be able to get a replacement? It would seem ridiculous to have to replace a low-time gearbox just for a seal.

-- Paul S

Default Re: 582 C Gearbox Oil Seal

Paul, I'm not sure if this will help. Anyhow, it may give you some leads to pursue.

Here's a link to all of Mike Stratman's rotax tech articles. Number 55/56 describes and shows good pictures of the C gear box inards and talks about the spider and spider gear shaft seal updates.
    http://www.800-airwolf.com/articles.htm

The CPS catalogue I have shows an exploded diagram with part numbers for the C box. It says to use it for Engines wit 8 hole provisions after 1989. There are two prop shaft seals. The front prop shaft seal number in this diagram is 930-715 and the rear seal is 930-675.

The article in the link above mentions an updated spider shaft seal as part number 950-084. The spider shaft seal in my catalog digram is 950-080 so that it may be the old spider shaft seal number and the prop shaft numbers above may be the old ones.

Edit: tech Article part 25 in the link above shows an exploded view of the gear box that is the same as my catalog but doesn't list part numbers. The seal part numbers I listed above are:
    Front propshaft seal = number 24 in the diagram
    Rear propshaft seal = number 10 in the diagram
    Spider shaft seal number = 13 in the diagram

have I totally confused you yet?
    Last edited by t j; 05-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom,

I'll sift through the information to see if there's a replacement part that's still available. Meanwhile, I'll keep replenishing the oil and be optimistic that the seal will break in and do it's job.

-- Paul S

I also have a new /old c gear box that is leaking oil. Did yours quit leaking or did you end up replacing the seal?

I replaced the seal with one purchased off of eBay. This is one of those cases where it makes little sense to pay the Rotax tax.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Glad to hear that the seal is available. Not having to pay Rotax prices for it is also a big plus. I haven't taken the gear box apart yet so haven't determined which of the two seals in that part of the gearbox is leaking

Prop shaft seals are OK. I need to replace the one for the coupling flange.
    Since it is an older gearbox will the seal for the newer model flange work or is it different ? I haven't torn the gearbox apart yet to look at the seal.

this is what I ordered for mine: Metric Oil Shaft Seal 32 x 47 x 07 32x47x7 Double Lip.

I don't believe it changed from the early to later C boxes.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks Paul

Appreciate the information. Will get one ordered.

Are your gearboxes stop leaking? I have the greyhead too with c-Box, but it's don't leaking until now.
    Has anybody a pic from the seal in place, where could I find it? Inside the gearbox?

Olaf