Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S7 builder logs

Default Re: S7 builder logs

anyway, I would like to find more chronological blogs (soup to nuts if you like) on building one of these. I seem to find a lot for Zenith and Vans aircraft, and I have also found enyaw's on facebook, but would love to see more that's all.
    Flienlow,
    I hear ya on not being able to find many Kitfoxers doing a Build Blog...When I started my Fox, I had been following many many Van's builders. I think I could have built most of an RV-7 without looking at the plans Glad to see Enyaw doing his on FB. That seems to be the easy way to go now and wish I had that when I started my IV.
    I did a Build Log on a KF IV, here http://azshowersolutions.com/Build1.html

I know it's not a SS, but it may help a bit on common things like covering, etc... Best wishes.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

As for a soup to nuts type log I think the assembly manual is about as good as one needs. The drawings are excellent and the text is clear. Construction is pretty straight forward.

For those wishing to see the steps prior to buying a kit, you can purchase an assembly manual from Kitfox LLC. If you have a Kit on order, have Deb send you the manual in advance of delivery.

Follow the steps and sign off each page as you complete it on the line provided. A few steps require completion of an different section before the page is complete. Just flag the page with sticky tab to sign it off later. I added a line above the completion date to log how many hours I spent on each step.

I had a few requests to post a picture log on my website but decided it has been done plenty of times. If I find an easier way to do something than what is shown in the manual, I post it here with a specific thread so builders can find it.

Maybe those other airplanes are more difficult to build. The Kitfox is pretty much a drill, ream, bolt, Hysol and pull rivet kind of airplane. Honestly, if you can put together a desk from Ikea, you can build a Kitfox.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    As for a soup to nuts type log I think the assembly manual is about as good as one needs. The drawings are excellent and the text is clear. Construction is pretty straight forward.

For those wishing to see the steps prior to buying a kit, you can purchase an assembly manual from Kitfox LLC. If you have a Kit on order, have Deb send you the manual in advance of delivery.

Follow the steps and sign off each page as you complete it on the line provided. A few steps require completion of an different section before the page is complete. Just flag the page with sticky tab to sign it off later. I added a line above the completion date to log how many hours I spent on each step.

I had a few requests to post a picture log on my website but decided it has been done plenty of times. If I find an easier way to do something than what is shown in the manual, I post it here with a specific thread so builders can find it.

Maybe those other airplanes are more difficult to build. The Kitfox is pretty much a drill, ream, bolt, Hysol and pull rivet kind of airplane. Honestly, if you can put together a desk from Ikea, you can build a Kitfox.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    John, I wouldn't argue with anything you said here...I haven't seen the SS plans, but I have heard they are much better than Skystar had them. I know McBean and the gang have put many hours into making them the cat's meow when it comes to ease of following.
    Kitfoxes are quite an easy build and I would venture to say that the RV series may be a tad more difficult, but more than that...just different skill sets. There are many guys on this list that have built both birds and actually know the difference.

As for build sites, personally I enjoy following folks on their build. There is not just one way to skin a cat and it is informative to see the different techniques others employ (just like you do here)
    As I was bulding, my friends and family living in other states enjoyed the follow as well. You might notice I quit the build page a few years ago but I did pick up where I left off on Face Book... So I think that is a great resource to those who would like to do so. One other thing I knew a build site (with pictures) would help with was when it came time to get that AW Cert. it made it a snap to grab several pictures along with the date references and print them off. I gave the DAR my website address a month b-4 he came out and he liked having it as well. FWIW
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I did a Build Log on a KF IV, here http://azshowersolutions.com/Build1.html

This is exactly what I am talking about. I love seeing even the simpliest of things like how you organized your garage. It gives me ideas. Thank you.