Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S7 builder logs

Default S7 builder logs

Is anyone here actively building a S7? I will admit I am a little surprised at this forum. I thought there would be more folks blogging about building their planes, engaging in technique conversations, and sharing build experiences along with status of their builds. Perhaps that is not the scope of this forum. I belong to Jeep forum and I believe just about every part on them has been blogged about (several times ) , and don't get me going about ADVRIDER.Com.

Airplane people not as chatty?

Default Re: S7 builder logs

I'm actively building one, but to be honest, I don't want to devote the time to a lot of "blogging". I'm more of a "lurker", enjoying monitoring this forum very much. There has actually been a lot of good technical advice, links to builders websites, blogs, etc. Check a little closer... I think you'll find it chock full of useful information for a builder like me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Flien...
    .......LOW

Try using the search tab. I think you will find as many threads on the S7 as any other model. Go to the Kitfox LLC site, too. You'll find they are only producing the model 7 with the model 4 as special order only. So almost all of the kits sold now are model 7s.

Yes lots of us are actively building S7's.

On this forum you'll find comments on almost every part, nut, bolt and rivet in the kit, along with opinions on what, where and how to install everything from axles to zip ties. Just do a little homework.

There's no shortage of yakkers like me with over 400 posts. But don't expect enthusiastic replies to "Has anyone ever thought of a putting a radial in a Kitfox" for the umpteenth time. Boooooorrring....

You're welcome to contribute your techniques to the Building Tips thread which is in the General Section on a sticky note. There are 100 posts to that thread and it makes for an interesting read.

If you need help building or have a serious question, someone will chime in and answer. If you just want to blog, blob or glob, there's this Jeep forum I heard about somewhere.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Also if you search the photo albums you will find lots of great construction pictures and builders comments.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 05-16-2012 at 03:37 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Also if you search the photo albums you will find lots of great construction pictures and builders comments.
    Tis true. I've gotten a lot of problems solved by looking at how other builders are doing it and by using the search feature.

This forum would be a deal at even 10 times the annual fee.

;-)
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

With a two year old kid and a full time job, the small amount of free time I have is spent in the garage, not on blogging.

already subscribed!! :d

I think I can suggest a reason for the scarcity of building posts - at least as it compares to other forums. When I built my first airplane - a model IV in 1993, the factory shipped 40 kits the month I received mine. I have been told that there had been months that as many as 75 were shipped. That lead to a lot of list activity as not everyone likes the internet, but one or two wouldl sign on. And over the course of a year there would be a dozen or more new guys chatting about their projects. My guess in its heyday, the lists had probably two or three hundred members and probably thirty to fifty who actively participated and this was of about three or four thousand Kitfoxes sold. Think of the number of Jeeps out there, probably many thousands. As I write this, I understand the factory is able to ship three or four a month. Probably about three of those three or four will be purchased by guys that are not much interested in chatting about the holes they reamed today or the ones they accidentally punched in the belly of their newly covered fuselage.

That being said, I think the quality of the information on the forum is very good with some real passionate builders with a wealth of knowledge that are a click away from being heard. I think the notes on builder's time constraints are factors as well.
    Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Flien...
    .......LOW

Try using the search tab. I think you will find as many threads on the S7 as any other model.
    John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Thanks John and by the way YOU DO get around, I have been following you on the Corvair list as well.

anyway, I would like to find more chronological blogs (soup to nuts if you like) on building one of these. I seem to find a lot for Zenith and Vans aircraft, and I have also found enyaw's on facebook, but would love to see more that's all.