Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Viking HF110 in KF3?

Default Viking HF110 in KF3?

Looking for input on whether a viking HF110 is an option in a KF3?

Default Re: Viking HF110 in KF3?

Greetings:

Using the following numbers: 1050 pound gross and empty weight of 460 pounds, I would be cautious regarding the Kitfox 3/ Viking combination. You do have a great useful load at 590, but CG might be an issue. You can expect the Viking with Fluids to install around 200 pounds. The real world comparison regarding weight would be the same as a Rotax 914.
    Vikings are flying around in other airframes but it is too early to tell if the engine is a good match for the Kitfox 7. Most other installations are fully using the LSA gross of 1320 pounds. I live 30 miles from Viking and for a little full disclosure…I will attempt a Viking in my Kitfox 7 (nose-dragger for now) .
    I personally see the Viking fly around quite a bit in three different airframes and I am impressed with its smoothness and possible value as a 912 alternative. My mission and environment is quite different than the high mountains. This is why it’s called experimental aviation though. Kitfox mother ship might have some Viking install or test data in the future. John, seems to like putting every engine combo on the cover of Kitplanes. .. Maybe a Russian Turbine in the future if John and Debbie keep throwing new powerplants up foreward!
    Good luck and blue skies,
    Eddie B.
    N557EB reserved

At the realistic install weight of 220# or more, I doubt it would be a viable option in any but the 5 and later Kitfox designs. They are designed to handle the weight of a Continental or Lycoming and may be able to handle the bulk of the Viking.

In a 3 you will be putting serious amounts of lead in the tail to make it balance, wasting much of the usable load.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Fast forwarding to July, the Viking news page ( http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/news/News.html ) lists one engine sold to "Edward" and another ordered for KF-4's

If neither one is for the original poster, maybe you can get in touch with these people via Viking?

Roberto.