Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lyc O-290

Default Lyc O-290

I was surprised to find that searching these forums about installing an O-290 turned up Zero results. Has anybody tried to do this or even considered it? The dry weight (at least, according to the Wikipedia article), is pretty close to that of the O-235. I'm still in the dreaming stage, and have seen a number of these engines pop up on Barnstormers and the like. Seems like a logical choice. Am I crazy?

Paul

Default Re: Lyc O-290

My impression is not many were mounted on Kitfox airframes. From what I read it is getting more and more difficult to find parts for this engine. Maybe that and the weight has kept them from becoming a common choice. They have a reputation to be reliable from reading other forums even the ones used in ground power units when properly modified for flight use. The 0-320 seemed to of taken it's place in many other aircraft designs probably due to the availability of parts. Dry weights look to run from 230 lbs. up to 250 lbs depending on model. Too heavy for my tastes but it will work on the forgiving Kitfox airframe. Just be prepared to lose some useful load.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

As DF4 states, parts availabilty is one issue. It is largely an unsupported engine and an overhaul will cost you a pretty penny. Unless you can find one for very cheap that has lots of life left in it I would pass. You see alot of Pacers, PA12's etc. with this engine and most re-engine them with an O-320 when the time comes. Ends up being a better preforming plane with no additional cost.
    I have friends that have this engine and all feel it is a good powerplant....but will be replaced instead of overhaul when the time comes.

I have one in my kit fox 5. My empty weight is about 890lbs. I get 130hp and can cruise at 2000rpm at 110mph. Firewalled it bumps up to 138mph. It is a great engine, mine was not an apu. I bought as an ex-military O-290 D1, the D2 has hydraulic lifters. I had it completely overhauled to zero time yellow tag and it cost me about $7000 total. I'm very happy with the engine. I have not had trouble getting parts.