Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Where can I fly an LSA?

Default Where can I fly an LSA?

Hi. Questions?

Where can I ger a ride in an LSA, whether S or E?

Build time?

Cost with 912ULS?

How hard is it to cover in fabric?

How well will steel hold up if I live a few miles from ocean (rust)

How well will 912 perform over high ground, say at 10 or 11 thousand.

Thank u

Jenna
    iPad

Default Re: Where can I fly an LSA?

Jenna,
    All your questions have been asked and answered here in the forum at one time or another. May not work from iPad, but the Search function will result in months of reading to catch up on all things Kitfox. Simply input a "keyword" or "phrase" and watch the threads roll in....happy hunting.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Jenna- I am nowhere near qualified to answer your questions, but here is what I have learned so far:
    Where can I get a ride in an LSA, whether S or E? -You should be able to get a ride from the manufacturer or a friendly owner in your area. Buy the gas, and feed 'em a burger.
    Build time? -For the Super Sport I was told about 1500 hours (but I would venture to say more.)

Cost with 912ULS? -New engine with firewall forward kit will be around $23,000. Figure hard costs of around $60,000 for a well built plane. 20k for the kit, 20k for an engine, and 20k for avionics plus all the stuff you never thought about.

How hard is it to cover in fabric? -Some skill required, but is fairly easy to do. It is time consuming, and can be tedious. Check out youtube videos by Stewart Systems\http://www.youtube.com/user/stewartsystems

How well will steel hold up if I live a few miles from ocean (rust)- get it powder coated by the manufacturer for sure (or someone that knows what they are doing.) You do not want penetration. You can have good looking tubes that will crumble on the inside. - I am not an expert.

Jenna,

I am located in S Ca and have a Kitfox V with many of the 7 Mods, would be glad to take you up to see who they perform. I currently fly out of the Corona & Hemet area's with several other individuals that fly various types of LSA and ELSA planes, You can give me a call to set up a time.

As far as the build goes, if you are handy with your hands and detail oriented you should plan on around 1500 hrs, I know some that have done it in less but unless they are very experienced the project looks like less as well.

I agree with flienlow on the powder coating of the frame, it is well worth it but needs to be done correctly and as with all aircraft good inspections on a regular basis. The V i have has been within 20 miles of the coast for 10yrs with no signs of any rust.

As far as altitude, I have the 912uls 100hp and at gross weight have had it to 15,600 and still climbing at about 300 ftmin as far as up to 10k it just keeps going and going. If you want more performance consider the 914 as it is Turbo Charged and I believe that the plane has been tested up to around 25k with that engine.

Big John
    714-325-2244
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    Jenna- I am nowhere near qualified to answer your questions, but here is what I have learned so far:
    Where can I get a ride in an LSA, whether S or E? -You should be able to get a ride from the manufacturer or a friendly owner in your area. Buy the gas, and feed 'em a burger.
    Build time? -For the Super Sport I was told about 1500 hours (but I would venture to say more.
    The average build times are right at 1000 hours or about 18 months.. That is an average.. some have taken much more while others much less.

Come on up to the factory for a visit.. you'll love the area and the flight.

Fabric covering is very easy.. but requires a little patience.. There are many SportAir workshops around the country and you can try your hand at it. You would be suprised.. One just has to make friends with the iron.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Wow. Great info. Thanks all.

Yes, I'd like to get to know the Kitfox better. Thank you for helping me along my way.

Jen