Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Tires on 6" Wheels

Default Big Tires on 6" Wheels

I am thinking about putting bigger tires on my standard SS7 Kitfox 6" wheels. These wheels that came with the kit are split-two halves bolted together, and they work fine with tube type tires. If I go with the big 26" Airstreak tundra tires or maybe the sort of big 8.50 x 6 tires, will they work on my split rims? These big tires are tubeless I believe so how will they hold air with my split wheel? There is no o-ring to seal the split joint. Also will a tubeless type valve stem work in these rims?

What am I missing here? The factory told me it would be no problem switching to tundra tires later on.

You guys running the Nanco tires must have had to buy new 8" wheels, or did Kitfoxes use to come with 8" tubeless type wheels?

Jim

Default Re: Big Tires on 6" Wheels

older kitfox came with 8 " wheels yes and the light ones were from 400 to 600 lbs

as they got heavier and heaver they need a better tire ..........
    hence the 6 " and those expensive Alaskan tires

The airstreaks are self contained and need to be installed on split rim. The valve stem comes thru the sidewall. This allows the tire to rotate on the rim without shearing a valve stem. I don't know how wide the rim needs to be for the airstreak, give Bill Duncan or Wup a call the'll know.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Bushwheels have a built in tube and the only way you can install them is with a split wheel.
    I road race a formula car that has 3 piece wheels. The seam down the middle gets a non hardening sealer with perfect results on tubeless tires.
    Placing the sealer between the wheel halfs is not necessary before bolting together and creates more clean up work when the wheels do get separated.

Sounds like I am good to go with Airstreaks on my split rims. They must be built like a heavy duty tube, so no air has to be sealed by a bead against a rim. So there must not be any way to get access to the inside of the tire. If you get a puncture how do you patch it? Do you patch the exterior? What holds the tire tight to the rim so it doesn't rotate on the rim, especially at the very low air pressures that are used?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but this is all new to me.

Jim

No question is dumb if you don't know the answer. I'm reading with interest too. (but then again I am a bit dum....!).
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I am running aero classic 21-8.00-6 tires on my Grove wheels. They are about the same size as the old atv tires I had on my bungee gear and about the same weight. With tubes I have less than $250 in the pair and will last far longer.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Think of the AkBushwheels as a big doughnut. What is basically done is a piece of rubber placed into the area where a tube normally goes through. It is fused from the bead edge to bead edge making the tire 'self-contained' ie. tubeless. As Nick states, the valve stem is then place on the edge of the tire close to the rim. It is recessed to protect it somewhat and pretty much flush with the tires sidewall. I've got a set of the 26" AkBushwheel Airstreaks that I am thinking of selling and then moving up to the 29". I doubt they have 20 landings on them, but will say once you have landed with the bushwheels you will never go back to regular tires if you fly in rough terrain.

I'm in the same boat as Keith. I got a great deal on a brand new set of 26" airstreak but now I wish I had 29's. Never heard someone say i wish I had smaller bushwheels.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Does Airstreak, or anyone else, make a 21" bushwheel that is built like the bigger 26" and 29" tires? A 21" that will go on my 6" split Grove wheels and not need a tube?

Jim