Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Tires on 6" Wheels

Default Re: Big Tires on 6" Wheels

I know they make a big O-ring that goes into the split part of the rim to be able to use a tubeless tire. And yes, someone does make a smaller 'bush' type tire. Just can't think of the name right now. Maybe Nick can respond. I think he had a set on his plane when he took me for a ride. They are by no means in the same league as the AkBushWheels but sufficient for light bush flying.
    Keith

Nanco is the tire your refering to. They fit on the original 8" douglas atv wheel. These are 2 ply atv slicks and can be had for under $100. The nancos are a great tire for the money. I ran nancos for the last 3 years and was able to keep up with alot of bigger tired guys. However they dont compare to the the bushwheels.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

So nobody makes a tire similar in size to the Nanco that will go on my 6" Grove split rims? For my skill level right now "light bush flying" is all I need.

Jim

jiott - the tires on my plane are 21" in diameter, the same as the atv tires, and are designed for 6" split rims. At about $125 each with tubes they are 1/10 the cost of the Bushwheel options.

I got mine through Airdale, a dealer for these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Desser Aircraft Tires

21/800x6 4 ply $99

http://www.desser.com/store/products...RAFT-TIRE.html

Mine are "Aero Classics" but are the same exact thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 05-06-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Well, I guess you could get a set of the Goodyear 26" 'Blimp' tire. They are a smidgen smaller that the 26" AkBushwheel but hell stout. Doubt you would ever wear a set out on a Kitfox.
    Could probably run them without air in a Kitfox! They are not cheap but sure are cheaper than BW's. I think I paid $1k for mine. I had a set on my Champ before putting the Airstreaks on it. Only reason I changed is the GY's were not legal and the only legal option I had was the Bushwheels. Lots of guys used to have them on Super Cubs before the AkBushwheel became popular.

Size is only one aspect. The nancos I would run as low as 4 or 5lbs. The bushwheels I'm running at 3lbs you can absorb a lot of roughness at those pressures. Having low pressure does add to the ground roll.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Thanks for the good info.

Av8r3400- So you put tubes in the Aero Classics 21x8x6 (the label says tubeless) I assume because of the split wheel?

When you have tubes in these tires and run them at a low pressure, say about 5 psi, do you have any problems with the tire slipping on the rim and tearing off the valve stem? I would sure hate to have that happen out in the boonies-with no way to patch or fix it. Carry an extra tube I guess.

Jim

I do run standard tubes. Normally I don't go much less than 10 psi. I don't have the need. Most of my off field work is on turf. Sometimes soft or wet but no rock bars or the like.

These tires work great for that. Plus I built my skis to fit them. If you want to run lower pressure you can always seal the rims and Ron tubeless.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos